Audi A3's What do you think? - evie_b
We are looking into purchasing a used Audi A3. we've got 5 grand tops to spend, will we get a decent one for that? Does anyone have any info on Audis? We have a baby also but pram isn't big and neither is car seat.
Audi A3's What do you think? - TimOrridge
For Audi A3 see Golf MK4 - The reason you buy heinz beans instead of tesco value

Pay more for same product
Audi A3's What do you think? - evie_b
sorry i didin't quite get that...... are you implying that an Audi is Tesco value?
sorry i didin't quite get that...... are you implying that an Audi is Tesco value?

Quite the opposite infact

The A3 is marketed as a better car because of the Audi badge even though under the shell it shares the engine and major mechanical parts with the Golf MK4 (car you was comparing with focus in previous post). Some say that the level of finish is better in the Audi and thats whay you pay the premium.

An example for five large

tinyurl.com/yno8ll {Link to autotrader shortened, as had screwed up the page width - DD}

However, one of my colleages has a R Reg 1.8 and has just had a bill of £1700 for vairious service items, VAG parts arent cheap. Id say spend £4K on one (a nice amount) and keep £1K back for servicing, if at all financially possible. It will make a nice car, and the neighbours will think you are posh

I drive an Audi but not a snob and its not an A3 its a 14yo Audi 80, Have you thought about a Audi A4? you will get a nicer car for the money
Sorree i think ive screwd the pageup, i pasted out of notepad and didnt use word wrap. Trying to hide it whilst im supposed to be working!!
Audi A3's What do you think? - Pendlebury
Thanks for owning up - I thought it was me.
Audi A3's What do you think? - Pendlebury
I think what the repsonse meant evie is that VAG (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, etc) use a technique called platform and component sharing.
That is to say that many of their models in the same category are built on the same floorpan/suspension system and will have the same engines and similar parts.
The Golf, Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia (I think) and Audi A3 are such a car.
The interiors are generally different but the response you got was suggesting that if you bought a Golf Mk IV it is mechanically similar to the A3.
Audi A3's What do you think? - Avant
From your other thread -

"The two choices that we have ended up with are a Focus and a Golf."

Well, it's a lady's privilege to change her mind....For £5k I still think you'll get a newer Focus.

A wildcard for you - think about a Skoda Fabia Combi (estate) - more room than a Golf, about the same as a Focus. Fabia hatchback is nice too but there's less room for Junior. Go for the 1.4 100 bhp version, or the 1.9 diesel if you do a high mileage.
Audi A3's What do you think? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Re. TimOrridge's linked car, good link it proves the point - £5k for for a 6 year old 1.8 hatchback with 90k on the clock. It's crazy money for a car that really isn't all that special (by no means bad, but we are not talking about something clearly better than run of the mill).

I fully understand why people buy A3s new, but to pay that sort of money for an old one just seems like madness.

evie_b - if you want value for money and cost-effective motoring for £5k, but also desperately want something from the VW group, then take a look at the Skoda Octavia or Seat Leon Mk1.
Audi A3's What do you think? - madf
Before you buy an Audi get quotes from dealers for servicing.

(Of course you should do this for all cars:-)

It will explain why Audi are so profitable.
madf
Audi A3's What do you think? - OldHand
5K on an A3 will only buy you a low spec/tired old dog/rubbish engine version

At least compared to a 5K Skoda Octavia VRS which is based on the same chassis. The question is are you brave enough to buy the better car?

Of course you could always up you budget to 10k+ in which case the S3 Audi is quite a nice car.
Audi A3's What do you think? - OldSkoOL
Older Golf's and A3's are very expensive to fix and in my experience a lot does tend to go wrong and the servicing can end up costing £600 a go and VW still dont manage to fix the car. I've know big parts go like the gearboxes and driveshafts.

I would much rather put my money into a Focus. It sounds like you want something with a nice badge on but for that money you could pick up a reliable fairly new jap car that will cost you a lot less to run and service.

A3 v Golf i just wouldn't go there on either for 5k i'm afraid, i'd rather buy a Focus / Corolla / Seat / Skoda.
Audi A3's What do you think? - sony
5k on an A3?? Forget it. It'll be very very very tired/peppered with stone chips/ resprayed etc... Either spend 16k on a new one or buy a mk4 golf/Corolla/Fabia/focus/ibiza...
Audi A3's What do you think? - oldtoffee
evie_b, the A3 will soon not be big enough for you and your family. Like others have suggested, I'd lok at a bigger and newer car - Octavia, Focus, Mondeo (cheaper than Focus) or if you want feelgood reliability something Japanese - a plain low to mid spec A3 is IMO nothing too special, nice interior but cramped and distinctly average to drive and comparatively expensive to run.
Audi A3's What do you think? - runboy
Its been said already, but for A3 read Octavia and Leon. With that sort of budget I would prefer a newer car and one that is cheaper to run. Everyone seems to have an A3 these days so get yourself something with a bit of individuality!
Audi A3's What do you think? - flunky
Re. TimOrridge's linked car good link it proves the point - £5k for for a
6 year old 1.8 hatchback with 90k on the clock. It's crazy money for a
car that really isn't all that special (by no means bad but we are not
talking about something clearly better than run of the mill).

As you say, total madness. My last car was a 7-year old 1.6 5-door Megane.

60k miles at the time, paid £1k, only a couple of minor scrapes on the bodywork.

No major problems in 3 years.

You would have to be bonkers to pay 5 times as much for a similar car with 50% more miles.

And with only 3-doors!

Forget battered ancient hatchbacks, for less money you could get a nicer car, with far fewer miles on it, and 2 years younger into the bargain

www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=328476

Madness.
Audi A3's What do you think? - daveyjp
I'm with others forget a £5,000 model - much better younger cars available for the money including the Focus.

If you want 5 doors remember the original A3 was never meant to be available in a 5 door version. Demand meant Audi produced one and it was a bodge, thats why the current A3 has two distinct versions, the five door being longer than the three to give rear seat passengers some leg room.
Audi A3's What do you think? - Roly93
I don't think £5K is enough to spend to get a 'decent' A3 unless you are very lucky. Great cars though.
Audi A3's What do you think? - tintin01
Don't buy a 3 door car if you have a small child. They look nicer, but struggling to put children in the back drove me nuts - buy a car that still be suitable as your family grows. Nice spec Mondeo will be good for a few years and big enough for hols too.