Can automatics tow? - horatio
Can a car with an automatic gearbox tow a manual gearboxed car?

I was going to use a fiat Punto manual to tow with but the tow hook appears to have the wrong thread for the hole! Anyone heard of this problem on Puntos? Need a new tow hook ASAP but they might order the wrong threaded hook for me.

The alternative is to ask my friend to help, but his car is a Nubira Automatic.
Can automatics tow? - Collos25
What thread ?What hole?what are you trying to tow?
Can automatics tow? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Automatics 'can' tow but if they do it for a living and/or tow heavy things like caravans it is some times necessary to fit a transmission oil cooler.
I only need to tow round the corner 1/2 mile, I am afraid of damaging his gearbox, if it as you say, then I should be alright. Thanks.
Can automatics tow? - bathtub tom
the tow hook appears to have the wrong thread for the hole!

They're often a LH thread. Are you turning it the right way?
I just found out, the tow hook screws into the front tow-hook hole nicely. (on the Punto)

The threads (front and back) look similar, but I can't be sure they are the same. The rear (the problem hole) has some rust on the thread.

It could be that it is cross threaded - but it really doesn't look like it is. It could be the rust - I would need to cut it with a thread cutter. What it really feels like is the wrong thread - but that is hard to believe.

Ah well.
Can automatics tow? - Peter D
There is no propblem towing with an auto for 1/2 a mile. I assume the towed car is taxed, MOT'd and insured. Regards Peter
Can automatics tow? - ablandy
push it?
Nope, it's up hill.
Can automatics tow? - slowdown avenue
i think its a left hand thread
Can automatics tow? - Spospe
I towed a 1 ton caravan with a Ford Cortina for over 6 years without any problems and covered over 60,000 miles.
Can automatics tow? - Altea Ego
Wasnt the caravan pushing the cortina?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Can automatics tow? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It wasn't an automatic gearbox Cortina though, was it? That is where the problems might have started.
Can automatics tow? - Spospe
It was an automatic, the normal Ford fitment with three speeds and a torque converter.
The car has been successfully towed by the automatic. Thanks for the help.