The search continues ... - Darcy Kitchin
In the effort to replace Madame's ageing Citroen AX, we have at last got to a short list. Bye bye Citroen Saxo (too much like the AX). Bye bye Hyundai Coupe and Ford Puma (no room in the back). Bye bye Citroen Xsara (old man's car, according to Madame). Bye bye ancient Porche 911 (not got the bottle or the wallet AND no room in the back).

The short list now reads Peugeot 206 1.4HDi as a good compromise on looks, accomodation, driving position, equipment and economy. Trouble is, I can't find any write-ups about the Pug 206 with the 1.4 HDi engine. Does anyone have one they can tell me about? Can anyone give me a link to a test drive?

All replies gratefuly received, but I fear this saga has some way to run yet ...
Re: The search continues ... - Andy Bairsto
What is wrong with a Ford Focus or a Rover 25
What's wrong with.... - John S
Andy

I know you love posts to short and to the point, so:

Ford Focus - tacky, bouncy

Rover 25 - old

regards

john
Re: The search continues ... - Darcy Kitchin
According to Madame;
Focus = rep's car
Rover = old ladies' car

so the Pug is still the fave,
Re: The search continues ... - Moosh
It appears this engine is not yet available in the 206.

Extract from the Sunday Times (motoring Car Clinic section) 14/4/02

"If there is a problem, it is that the 206 is neither the newest nor the best car in the class, so we?d suggest she looks at both the new Ford Fiesta and Volkswagen Polo. The best Polo for Tessa is the 1.4 TDI PD but at £11,055, she will need her very best haggling skills if she isn?t going to bust her budget. It?s still worth looking at since it has fuel consumption and emissions (124g/km) that are almost identical to the Peugeot?s in a more modern, refined and durable package.

However, Tessa?s first priority is emissions and the new Ford Fiesta Finesse is not only well within budget, at £9,495, it also has a new diesel engine, which emits just 113g/km. It will be neither as quick as the Peugeot nor possess the enviable residual value of the Polo but, for now, it offers a combination of raw talent and low emissions unmatched by any other car in the class. The irony is that the engine responsible for this is designed and built by Peugeot but will not find its way under the bonnet of a 206 until later in the year."
Re: The search continues ... - Matt Kelly
Did you read this episode of Car Clinic from start to finish. I almost thought it was a spoof request written in by Bogush or someone who shares his views just to see what would happen. The person who requested assistance really took the biscuit !
Re: The search continues ... - Derek
My wife would only look at the 206, so I bought one as a surprise birthday present (sorry if I let the side down chaps).

I was originally intending to get the 2.0 HDi, but she only does low mileages on relatively short trips, so I got the 1.6 petrol. That's still pretty nippy and isn't bad on the CO2 figures.

Is there any particular reason that you want the 1.4 diesel? I imagine it will be fairly sluggish, although good economy. If your missus does high mileage, the 2.0 diesel is probably the better option anyway.
Re: The search continues ... - Andrew T
I think the 1.4 HDi became available about Feb/March for the 206 and 307, but not sure which came first. Either way there won't be many owners with useful opinions yet. Output is midway between the 1.1 and 1.4 petrol, but obviously better at low revs. As it was developed jointly with Ford they will be a corresponding model for it. The new Polo also has a 3-cyl 1.4 diesel to think about, but any of them will be >£9000.
Re: The search continues ... - Greg
...if you considered such cars as Puma, Hyandai Coupe and 911, did you consider a FIAT Coupe ?

More room in the back than most Coupes and (IMHO) good looking and great fun to drive in n/a or turbo versions.
Re: The search continues ... - Dan J
£1,000 pound cam belt changes?
Re: The search continues ... - Trevor Potter
PLUS poor reliability and awful dealers.
Re: The search continues ... - AndyS
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the 206 driving position. I know this is a personal thing, but I found the 206 the most uncomfortable car bar none that I can remember. Horribly offset pedals and impossible to get legs and arms both comfortable.

Honda Civic?

Andy
Re: The search continues ... - Derek
Andy, I agree, but my wife has dainty little feet so doesn't have a problem - but as she wanted the car so much, would she ever complain?

More concerning I find is that there is some protuberence just below the dashboard and above the brake pedal that catches my shoe sometimes when braking. Just a little disconcerting.............
Re: The search continues ... - Trevor Potter
Well, what can I tell you? Brilliant timing.

TODAYS Auto Express Group Test - Diesel Superminis.

Winner - Skoda Fabia. Sorted.
Re: The search continues ... - Lee H
Hi Darcy,

I was in Durham over the last week, and at Croxdale Citroen (in Croxdale, Nr Spennymoor) they have a C3. They can't sell it until May, but if your budget will allow it looks excellent. A lot more interesting than a Saxo (or 206) and bang up to date technology - lots of room and no chance of it being mistaken for a repmobile / grannywagon either.

HTH,
Lee.
Re: The search continues ... - Mahatma Coate
If you buy a C3 then expect it to disintegrate very quickly. Drove a French left-hooker diesel the other day. Everything vibrated and the dash seemed fit to fall apart at 3000km. Quite comfortable but abysmal build quality and seemed to have no sound proofing at all.
Re: The search continues ... - Ffa Coffi Pawb
What about the new Toyota Corolla?

The dog's 'nads by all accounts.
Re: The search continues ... - Darcy Kitchin
Thanks for your considered and informative replies.

The short list is just that; there are no alternatives on it.

Until next week?

As Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen might say, it's a matter of taste, and there is no accounting for it.

if you can stand the suspense, I'll keep you posted.