150mph for 25 quid. - Dave
Autocar this week features a rarity for this magazine - a good article.

They looked for a car <500 quid that would top 150mph.

This week they found a 25 quid XJS and got 149 out of it.

Fantastic article. It reminded me of the epic motorcycle journeys & tests of the 30's and 50's where bikes we're tested at high speed over long distance and it wasn't a foregone conclusion that is was both safe and achievable.

The only way they could have improved the article would have been if the 149 had been clocked on a public single carriageway 'A' Road. ;-) As road tests of yesteryear were.

Still, you can't have everything! ;-)
Re: 500mph for 9 quid. - Todd
I can beat that. Ryanair London to Bologna. Only problem with the deal is you don't get to drive.
Re: 500mph for 9 quid. - Dave Starr
<<< I can beat that. Ryanair London to Bologna. Only problem with the deal is you don't get to drive. >>>

You can if you are a Mental Islamicist.
Re: 500mph for 9 quid. - Phil
Carlton GSi 3000 has similar mph/£ figures. People almost give them away now.
Re: 150mph for 25 quid - Cheap Fiestas. - Charles
It was interesting also that the article mentioned that Ford are storing old shape brand new Fiestas at Bruntingthorpe. Should be some bargains offered to shift the old stock??
Re: 150mph for 25 quid - Cheap Fiestas. - Todd
Would you want to buy a car that was parked for months at the side of a racetrack? Stone chips from cars going past at 150mph would worry me.
Re: 150mph for 25 quid - Cheap Fiestas. - Charles
Bruntingthorpe is not really a race track as such but they do test cars there. If your into old aircraft its a real treasure trove of taxiing condition aircraft from the cold war era. Also they're restoring the last flyable Vulcan there. For more info look at this site:

www.jetman.dircon.co.uk/brunty/

Charles
Re: 150mph for 25 quid - Cheap Fiestas. - J Bonington Jagworth
Very interesting, Charles. By coincidence, I stumbled across the following comparison between the Lightning and the American F-15 by a pilot who had flown both:

www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/memorie...l

Wonderful thing, the Web!