Beware of old car parts scam - smokie
A poster on another forum warns of a second hand car part sscam where spmeone joins a forum then offers parts cheap which never get delivered. Warning is here. www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6665.msg3...w

The mods will keep an eye to prevent anything similar happening here but please be careful out there...
Beware of old car parts scam - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that Smokie. Not that I have been caught but ,if paying by PayPal isn't one proteceted against exactly this sort of scam? I am sure it is time consuming to claim but I thought non-delivery of goods was something covered to 100% of purchase price. There is a top limit of £500 or is it £2000, but there is some sort of protection SFAIK
Beware of old car parts scam - Chris M
£500 according to www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/poli...e

But I think you will find many disgruntled buyers where Paypal get out of paying.
Beware of old car parts scam - martint123
That protection is only for ebay purchases. Anything else and it is treated like cash. I think there is even a problem if you pay the paypal bill by credit card - as the parts aren't bought by credit card, just the cash to pay for them.
Beware of old car parts scam - Armitage Shanks {p}
Martini, I read what you say but surely the only way one can pay a PayPal bill is by credit card? One can't send them a cheque. Surely there should be PayPal protection or from one's card issuer but i think the latter is only if the transaction is more than £100. Standing by for correction and/or informed comment!
Beware of old car parts scam - Bill Payer
Martini, I read what you say but surely the only way
one can pay a PayPal bill is by credit card?

Once you register 'properly' with PayPal it defaults to payment by bank transfer - you have to manually change back to credit card payment for each transaction.

Also the buyer protection on eBay only works under pretty stringent conditions - I think that the seller has to be verified and have had a certain number of positive feedbacks. They also have to use a trackable delivery service.
Outside of ebay, paypal is just like cash.
Use your credit card in a cash machine and you get no credit card protection for any subsequent purchase. AFAIK paypal is the same.
Beware of old car parts scam - Spospe
I have made a successful claim under the terms of PayPal. It happened when I bought some software (not car parts, but the principle is the same) and it did not turn up and the seller was de-registered by eBay.

To make a claim the item must have been paid for by PayPal and you get back your cost, less £15. You also do not get anything for postage, so for an item costing say £17 with £4 postage, all you will get is £2. I believe that this scheme only operates for goods to the maximum value of £500, anything over that and you are on your own, so most car purchases will be unprotected; be warned!

Making a claim is a dispiriting process and I am sure that many people must give up because it is time consuming and rather confusing. You need to be well organised and very patient.

PayPal is paid by you the buyer, either by credit card, or by direct debit from a bank account (in my case by DD).
But these car parts AFAIK are not being sold on ebay, just a private sale, but with paypal the ayment method.