Theft of stereo front... - PoloGirl
(I started a new thread for you as you'd dredged up one that is now five years old somehow!)

Car Thieves - uniw38
My Nissan Micra got broken into on Boxing day outside my house and I didn't know a thing until I went to get into it to go to work. Thankfully no damage but I know I locked it yet someone had got in taken my car stereo or at least they took the removable front fascia. Why would they do this? It's totally useless to them. Unfortunately they were looking for the SAT Nav as I had forgotten to take the cradle off the front window when i took it inside.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement front fascia as I still have a stereo in my car which I can't use?
Car Thieves - PoloGirl
>they took the removable front fascia.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the key is in the word 'removable'.

>Why would they do this? It's totally useless to them

Not if, like you are now, they were in need of a fascia.

I used to have a JVC stereo with removable front and when that broke, they sent me a new front, so it might be worth contacting the manufacturer? Also might be the sort of thing that comes up on Ebay?

Car Thieves - AlastairW
PG, it may well be the sort of thing that comes up on ebay - but just think, why would any legitimate owner want to sell just the front of a stereo?
Car Thieves - horse
I used to take my stereo face off routinely, but then I left it at someones house once and it took ages to get it back. At the time I did check and (panasonic) a replacement was available from the manufacturers website, though the price was 30% of the stereo itself. Now I just leave it in place all the time, on the basis that the likelihood of theft is less than me leaving it somewhere again.
Car Thieves - horse
btw I think the person who nicked it probably just thought 'why not?' - Didnt get the sat nav, but thought may as well walk away with something. Theres little logic to the way people like that act - think they get some satisfaction from making your life difficult whether or not they can sell or use the face plate.
Car Thieves - Stuartli
>>think they get some satisfaction from making your life difficult whether or not they can sell or use the face plate.>>

Some people would think that they should receive a similar punishment to those who used to be in charge of a certain Middle East country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car Thieves - Collos25
cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-CAR-RADIO-FRONT-FACE-PANELS-SONY...m

Any good
Car Thieves - Ian (Cape Town)
My 'face' comes off, gets stuck in the carrying case, and that gets stuck into the boot.
Remember, most car radio thefts are quick in-and-out jobs, with resultant damage to the fascia and wiring loom.
Admittedly, if the vermin were to ransack the boot by letting down the rear seats as well, they'd get the full steroe. but so far I've seldom heard of this happening in built-up areas.
The other problem here comes with the scum smashing the window on the chance that the driver has put the face under the seat or in the glove box (which happens more often than you'd believe!!!), which does tend to defeat the whole object.
Last time the Opel was broken into (rear quarterlight) the blokes at the glass fitters told me that the majority of drivers that had come infor new glass, before heading for the stero shop, had done just this.
I know my insurance covers the stereo and any other damage. but with a whopping excess UNLESS I can produce the face.

Car Thieves - DP
The theft was probably carried out by someone who had stolen a compatible stereo without the face earlier on, and spotted yours sitting there waiting. Of course, it's much quicker/easier/quieter to just remove the faceplate rather than the whole stereo.

I worked in a hi-fi shop for a few years, and we'd get one or two local scrotes a week coming in asking if we could get hold of replacement car stereo fronts. As soon as we asked for a serial number (as well told them the BS excuse that the serial numbers were linked to owner databases and cross checked), they'd scarper.

Cheers
DP

Car Thieves - MVP
A friend had his Transit's side window smashed, the Police said they break in to look in the glove box for a SatNav, and are not interested in stereos any more.

The scumbag probably took the fascia out of spite