VW Golf Mk4 - Engine Replacement - Talltom
Hello -

Recently brought a 1.9GT TDi PD 115bhp Golf through an independent dealer. 13 days in the engine blew and needs to be replaced. Luckily I am covered by the warranty and they have found a replacement engine, ironically with 24,000 miles less than the original engine. I have been assured that the engine is exactly the same as mine. They will be replacing the cambelt too which is a bonus.

I'd like to know if there is anything else I should be checking with the dealer. The new engine comes with a 3 month warranty on it which provides some peace of mind.

To be honest it's been a nightmare couple of weeks with this car and I'm just trying to cover all angles as much as possible!

Thanks in advance.

Tom
VW Golf Mk4 - Engine Replacement - Xileno {P}
You need to find out why the engine blew in the forst place. Could it be some other fault somewhere that might cause the 'new' engine to go the same way?
VW Golf Mk4 - Engine Replacement - George Porge
Blown engine? cambelt snapped / turbo seal failure / poor quality rechip........
VW Golf Mk4 - Engine Replacement - Talltom
I will ask why they think it failed. All I know as I sat there with my head in my hands was that lovely black oil was running down the layby raod, steam was coming through the bonnet (at least I think it was steam) and on further inspection there was a nice crack through the bottom engine block.

Cambelt had been replaced at 76k. Car was original so it shouldn't be a re-chip.

But thanks again. Will put these to the dealer/garage.
VW Golf Mk4 - Engine Replacement - mark25
i would get the water pump replaced, it's 5 mins work if the cambelt is off and there's no water in the engine. Try to get a replacement with a brass instead of plastic impeller while you're at it. GSF have got them if VW haven't.