Displaying a new tax disc - L'escargot
What's the earliest you can (legally) display a new tax disc?
--
L\'escargot.
Displaying a new tax disc - Armitage Shanks {p}
The day on which it becomes valld - I would have thought = 1st of relevant month. If you displayed it early you would not be displaying a valid current disc, which is an offence. However an ANPR camera would not catch you as the database would show the car being taxed. Plod or a warden could war nor pemalise you for failing to display, I think
Displaying a new tax disc - jc2
Two weeks before date but only if vehicle was already taxed.
Displaying a new tax disc - henry k
IMO - as soon as you get it. I cannot imagine this is illegal.
I stick my new tax disk on with a bit of tape along side the current one. It is not then forgotten or lost.
Displaying a new tax disc - Dwight Van Driver
Read the wisdom of AS

Section 33 Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1984:

1) A person is guilty of an offence if?
(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

Those last few words seal it.

dvd
You can only get a new disc two weeks before "valid" date.
Displaying a new tax disc - wotspur
at last a large agency get's something right- renewing tax discs online the easiest thing ever
Displaying a new tax disc - Stuartli
renewing tax discs online the easiest thing ever>>

Not in every case - the website continuously rejected my card's details and even the person I spoke to after eventually telephoning couldn't explain any good reason for it.

The webmaster failed to answer my query on the subject.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Displaying a new tax disc - Stuartli
PS

I have no difficulty renewing my TV licence, paying my house and car insurance premiums or other types of online payments.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Displaying a new tax disc - Bill Payer
Unless you swop them over at midnight then I guess, very strictly speaking, you ought to display both overnight on the day they change.
Thank you DVD - I still defer to your knowledge in all matters legal

All please renew your road tax at your Post Office if you can - it costs you the same but they get a %age to keep them going. Use them or lose them!
Displaying a new tax disc - Lounge Lizard
>>Post Office...Use them or lose them!

I vote to lose them, they're a hopeless, inefficient 1950s anachronism that add unnecessary costs to all the government bureaucracy & processes they're involved in.

Lounge Lizard. Where do you go to buy stamps, premium bonds, send items recorded or special delivery, get parcels weighed etc. For thos eof us who don't have offices and franking machines etc the PO is the only place. If they close mine I shall be on a 10 mile round trip to the next nearest one. No thanks!
Displaying a new tax disc - LeighB
>>Post Office...Use them or lose them!
I vote to lose them, they're a hopeless, inefficient 1950s anachronism
that add unnecessary costs to all the government bureaucracy & processes
they're involved in.

You must be an urban resident!
If you lived in a village you would appreciate that POs - efficient or otherwise - are the lifeline of rural communities. Many have lousy or non existent public transport, and a high proportion of older residents with no access to private cars, and often with no bank account. So they need the PO to draw their pension, and it is often the only local shop where they can spend it. Without the PO the shop is often non viable on it's own.
Displaying a new tax disc - oldgit
at last a large agency get's something right- renewing tax discs
online the easiest thing ever

Hardly! It relies, of course, on our postal system being able to deliver the goods. My postman regularly puts my mail in other people's letter boxes and that's not much use if they're away on business or holiday, is it?

No. A visit to the post office is the only sensible course for me.
Displaying a new tax disc - Dynamic Dave
What's the earliest you can (legally) display a new tax disc?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34344
Displaying a new tax disc - martint123
You can display the new disc whenever you like. BUT, if it's before the date it becomes valid you have to display the current one as well.
But the date shown is the expiry date!!
Yes but it also has a period of validity so it is possible to work out the start date, unless you are a bear with a very small brain!
As it says on the form

"A licence comes into force on the day it is taken out except when it is taken out in advance, in which case it takes effect from the first day of the following month.
Displaying a new tax disc - LeighB
As it says on the form
"A licence comes into force on the day it is taken
out except when it is taken out in advance, in which
case it takes effect from the first day of the following
month.

This is obviously correct, but ... I would imagine that any Traffic Warden or Police Officer looks at the expiry date on the displayed disc, and if it is next year or whatever, passes by looking for someone else to nick. I would not think they would start doing mental arithmetic to work out if the licence had not started yet? I usually renew before the expiry, and display the new disc immediately, never given a thought to the technical niceties.

Displaying a new tax disc - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>>>You can display the new disc whenever you like. BUT, if it's before the date it becomes valid you have to display the current one as well.<<<<<<<<<

Not saying you would get any hassle if you did but be aware of

Reg 7 RV (Reg & Lic) regs 2002

. No person shall exhibit on a vehicle which is kept or used on a public road anything -

(a) which is intended to be, or

(b) which could reasonably be,

mistaken for a vehicle licence, a nil licence or a trade licence which is for the time being in force for, or in respect of, the vehicle.

Wow

dvd

Displaying a new tax disc - doug_523i
If it's all on computer then why do we need to display at all?

Post Office, a shop that opens after you've started work, closes for lunch, often has an early closing day, and closes for business at the same time you leave work. Maybe if they joined the real world and offered a service they wouldn't be under threat. I buy my premium bonds online, just like my road fund licence, I can't be bothered arranging my life around a Saturday morning.

You've got far too much time on your hands ;) ;)
Displaying a new tax disc - David Horn
All you need to be able to do in Post Offices is post things. Have a separate queue for people to collect pensions / premium bonds / buy kettles (kettles, for crying out loud) / get road tax.

I actually went in there today to get a new tax disc 'cos I was too lazy to do it online in time. Queued for 25 minutes, and by the time I left, queue stretched well out the door.
Displaying a new tax disc - keo-the-dog
I renewed my tax on-line, only reason for doing so was i couldn't find my documents and they check them electronically. Problem solved...cheers...Keo