Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Bill Payer
How soon can you display the new tax disk? I did mine on line, all 3 of our cars run out today :-( and I've had the disks for over a week. Could I swop the disks over straight away, or am I supposed to go out at midnight tonight and change them?
Or, to to be sure of being legal, should I put both in the screen for a while.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - BazzaBear {P}
Good question.
I would assume that the change actually has to be made on the first of the month.
I always have this problem. I buy the tax disk on, say, the 20th. Every morning from then to the 31st I remember about changing it, but don't. Then the 1st comes and I completely forget.
I once had, on about the 10th of the month, a garage attendant refuse to serve me as I hadn't a current tax (apparently a good indicater for a fill-n-runner) I had to sheepishly produce it from the glovebox.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - commerdriver
I've always put mine on as soon as I get them, otherwise I will probably lose them. I don't believe they have a valid from date.
I don't believe they have a valid from date.

That's true - I thought of that. However they do say Period 12 (mounths) and, as they expire 31.08.06 that implies that they're not valid duing Aug 05.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - mare
I've always put mine on as soon as I get them,
otherwise I will probably lose them. I don't believe they have
a valid from date.

Ditto

The disc expires on a set date. the 12 months reference shows that you have purchased 12 months VED.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Pugugly {P}
Put it on straight away. (Like PU doesn't and consequently loses it)
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Dwight Van Driver
Hey up PU whats this? You advocating lawlessness?

VE & Reg Act 1994 Section 33

A person is guilty of an offence if?

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and

(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is FOR THE TIME BEING IN FORCE.

A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding 200 pounds.

A Licence issued to start at the beginning of a month aint valid until that date.

Not that I would hope any law enforcer would take any action...but you never know with all these targets on performance.

dvd
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - mare
A Licence issued to start at the beginning of a month
aint valid until that date.

That's mad isn't it? Oh well, learn something new every day.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - artful dodger {P}
IIRC it does not matter when you place a tax disc in position as in the vast majority of cases the vehicle is being retaxed for continuing road use.

If the car had been SORNed then you would only be able to use the car from the 1st of the month otherwise you would be liable for the whole previous month's tax.

If you failed to pay a month's tax without a SORN and then retax it, then you would be hit by a fine and back tax.

I am pretty certain that the DVLA records will show the vehicle is continuously taxed. You should also remember that if a new tax disc has been displayed before the end of the month then you have already shown that the car has a valid insurance policy and if over 3 years old, a current MOT Test Certificate. I know that I would rather see a new tax disc on this basis, than one just about to expire.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Stuartli
I usually buy mine two or three days before the old one runs out and display it immediately - the old one is kept underneath it just in case there is any requirement to produce it.

But the fact that you've bought and displayed it, as already pointed out, is a good indicator that you normally comply with the law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - IanJohnson
I put them in when I get them, if you think about it you cannot buy one early unless you have a current disc or you pay for a few extra days!
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - cockle {P}
From the DVLA website FAQ's.

When and where should I display the licence?

A licence comes into force on the day it is issued. But, if you apply for a licence in advance, it comes into force on the first day of the following month and you should not display it on your vehicle until then.

So I suppose that technically you shouldn't but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be done for displaying a few days early, after all not as if you are trying to con them out of anything!
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Civic8
>>So I suppose that technically you shouldn't but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be done for displaying a few days early,

Possibly not,but what about failing to display old disc?
--
Steve
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Chad.R
I usually buy mine two or three days before the old
one runs out and display it immediately - the old one
is kept underneath it just in case there is any
requirement to produce it.

Ditto.
All I can say is,good luck in showing a disc not in date.But don`t shout if you do get caught not displaying "in date disc"
--
Steve
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - mfarrow
I wouldn't risk it. As steve.o says, you run the risk of failing to display a valid tax disc, no matter whether you have it "somewhere", it has to be displayed.

I put mine on the first time I put the car on a public road (on drive at present). In my case that will be Saturday.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Robin Reliant
I can't see how you are not allowed to display early. If you couldn't, then unless you changed disc's at exactly midnight on the last day of the month you would be comitting an offence one way or the other.

I think the DVLA advice to wait until the start of the first month applys to new taxations, not to renewals.
I can't see how you are not allowed to display early.

You are. But it's meaningless until its proper start date.
If you couldn't, then unless you changed disc's at exactly midnight
on the last day of the month you would be comitting
an offence one way or the other.

That was exactly the point of my original question. So, to be absolutely sure, the only correct way would seem to be to display both licences.
I think the DVLA advice to wait until the start of
the first month applys to new taxations, not to renewals.

No - the licence is meaningless until its proper start date.
>>I can't see how you are not allowed to display early.

My point was,to display disc early covering old disc is an offence.As old disc is covered up being in date.displayed seperately is ok.as the old disc is still in view.I think it applies to any,ie disc in date is ok.if not problems
--
Steve
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - Cliff Pope
It's been said a thousand times before - if they abolished road tax and put it all on petrol, there would be no more tax evaders, and no more problems for law abiding motorists trying to juggle little bits of paper and still stay legal.
Tax disk - when to put new one on? - henry k
It's been said a thousand times before - if they abolished road tax and put it all on petrol,
there would be no more tax evaders, and no more problems for law abiding motorists trying to juggle little bits of paper and still stay legal.

>>
What a good idea. Then the Govenment needs a process for keeping track of what cars are on the road and also SORNed cars. So that will be about £100 and Oh! look at inflation so add a bit more each year.