Jaguar S Type Key Recoding - Vin {P}
I recently bought an S Type - and I'm very happy.

One of the keys had a flat battery, so I replaced it according to the instructions in the handbook, making sure I only spent a few seconds. The previous battery must have been flat as a pancake, as it now has no coding.

Is this one of the keys that can be coded by a sequence of keypresses in the vehicle, or do I need to go to my Jaguar dealer and assume the position? If the former (oh, please let it be so) where do I find the information?

V
Jaguar S Type Key Recoding - RichardW
It might be in the handbook, or an internet search might turn it up. I might be able to look on my Autodata CD. What year is it?
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Jaguar S Type Key Recoding - LeePower
A Jaguar S type has the same basic remote key as a Ford Mondeo.

Do an internet search for coding Ford keys & you should find it works on this Jag.

It should also be in the handbook, Takes less then a minute to recode one of these keys.
Thanks for the replies. It's a 2003 model 2.5 SE S-Type.

As regards the Ford side of things, I'll have a look.

The dealer tells me it needs a computer attached, but I'd rather be sure before paying £42 (eek!) for recoding with them.

V
BTW, the handbook simply says "drop it into your friendly Jag dealer and they will charge you a bundle for a couple of minutes' work".

Or words to that effect.

V
Im pretty sure the remote locking side of things can be done by the owner with just the key in ignition & pressing buttons in the right order.

Coding the immbiliser part of the key would need a hook up to a computer.

If this key starts the engine then the immobiliser part is fine.
OK - the latest is that the key starts the car, so it's just the remote locking I need to fix. Even more reason not to pay £40+.

V
This is the Mondeo RF remote key instructions to get the remote locking working from the keyfob again.

1) Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

2) Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.

3) During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

4) Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.
Lee, thanks for that, but no joy. I guess they must have put in a different coding system.

I'll keep up the online search.

Thanks again,

V
Jaguar S Type Key Recoding - RichardW
Autodata says Remore controls can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment..... :-((
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for the help, guys.

Looks like I'm going to have to assume the position. The good news is that I've found out it's "only" £36 if I have it done when I'm next oop North, so I'll leave it till then.

Thanks again,

V
In the interests of a Happy New Year, I thought I should let you know what the results were to a few technical questions I've asked on here. If anyone's interested, that is.

--------

This one's now fixed.

V