Diesel exhausts last longer? - artful dodger {P}
My Fiat Marea Weekend 2.4 turbo diesel (88,000 miles) is nearly 9 years old and still has its original exhaust. I thought this was due to high quality manufactured parts. Thinking about this I reasoned that this could also be due to it being a diesel engine rather than a petrol. My question is do diesel exhausts last longer than petrol exhausts?

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Xileno {P}
Generally yes. However, I got 8 years out of a genuine VW petrol.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Chips with everything
I believe that the exhaust gases on a diesel are generally lower than on an 'equivilant' petrol. This should help them last longer - assuming that the exhausts are made to the same spec.

Diesel exhausts last longer? - honeybear
I had a volvo 740 estate and the bit that went over the rear axle only lasted a couple of months must have been a bad part.Do they last longer as they get coated in soot which stops moisture build up etc.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Dynamic Dave
Not forgetting of course diesels aren't called oil burners for nothing.

That extra soot and oil kicked out through the exhaust will help to preserve it longer than a petrol engine will.

The modern petrol car with a cat helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water, and thus the exhaust doesn't last as long as pre cat cars due to the extra water rotting them out.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Pugugly {P}
Previously mentioned Vaux Cavalier 169k up 10 yrs old had the original exhaust (minus a recent tail pipe.)
Diesel exhausts last longer? - RichardW
"The modern petrol car with a cat helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water"

Er, no... CO is 'burnt' with more oxygen to turn it into CO2 - no water involved.... I think that unburnt hydrocarbons might also be oxidised by the cat, and this might roduce additional water, although I doubt it is significant alongside the amount produced by a non-cat engine!

For reasons I don't really understand, diesels steam much less than petrols after a cold start (possibly to do with them running so lean, and not needing a choke to make them run when they are cold?) - I reckon it's this that makes them last longer. That and the healthy covering of soot on the inside!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Diesel exhausts last longer? - madf
I think that a lot will be due to the lower exhaust temperatures of diesels vs petrol placing far less stress on the exhaust system.
madf
Diesel exhausts last longer? - L'escargot
I think that a lot will be due to the lower
exhaust temperatures of diesels vs petrol placing far less stress on
the exhaust system.

In general it's the parts that operate at lower temperatures that corrode the quickest. In practice there is a critical temperature at which corrosion is the worst. In most petrol cars this occurs a few inches forward of the end of the tailpipe. However, I once had a car in which the critical temperature occurred just at the end of the tailpipe. The end of the pipe became quite ragged.
--
L\'escargot.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Dynamic Dave
"The modern petrol car with a cat helps to convert carbon
monoxide into carbon dioxide and water"
Er, no... CO is 'burnt' with more oxygen to turn
it into CO2 - no water involved....

I was quoting from howstuffworks.

auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Number_Cruncher
>>I was quoting from howstuffworks.

I need to tread carefully here!

While that site does represent a lot of work and effort, and, in general, contains good and accurate information, I'm not sure that its content should be taken any more or less seriously than most well considered posts on this forum. I get a little bit concerned that sometimes the site is quoted as if its content were beyond question.

Number_Cruncher

Diesel exhausts last longer? - Victorbox
Nine years out of an original petrol Vauxhall Cavalier back box then two years from each Kwik-come-Rapid fit back box thereafter.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - LHM
A majority of diesel-engined cars is probably not used for short runs - a major killer of exhaust systems due to internal condensation.

I racked up 165,000 miles on an original Jaguar XJ40 exhaust, which was still sound when the car was stolen.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - artful dodger {P}
Thanks guys for your replies, my thinking seems to be confirmed that diesel exhausts seem to last longer than petrol systems. Just have to wait and see how long my exhaust lasts, seems to be in good condition the last time I looked under the car when it was on a garage lift.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - Roly93
Simple realy, diesels dont put a large quantity of steam into the ehaust like petrols, which then mixes with the various oxides of nitorgen to form acids which destroy the exhaust gradualy or quicker if the car is used for short journeys. Diesels also blow out microscopic quantities of unburnt fuel which also protects the exhaust.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - none
They do seem to more resistant to internal corrosion, but when they do give up, they go with a bang. Almost all of the diesel exhausts I've replaced have fractured a pipe close to a weld. I've replaced a few tailpipes that have corroded from the outside, but never had to replace one that's corroded from inside to out.
A more common problem seems to be loose baffles rattling around in the silencers. Maybe it's the diesel extra vibration causing the problems.
Diesel exhausts last longer? - wazza
exhaust went on my '96 mondeo this year. mileage 125k. car is used around town and sometimes motorway.