Vectra 04 Sri - Rear Brakes - wonderwheels
Whilst checking my tyre pressures today, I noticed that there was a small lip at the bottom surface of where the pad meets the disc.It also appears that the rear pads have less material on them than the fronts.Is this usual? I always thought that the fronts (on a FWD) should wear down quicker.i don't drive particularily hard (honest!).The car has covered 26K miles and its still the original pads/discs on the car.I expected to be changing the fronts in a few 'K'.On this subject,what pads would anyone recommend?
Vectra 04 Sri - Rear Brakes - Collos25
The fronts have more meat on them copared to the rears when they are new.
Vectra 04 Sri - Rear Brakes - Ruperts Trooper
As Andy says the front pads are thicker when new because the front brakes do more of the work because of weight transfer during braking, particularly on front-wheel drive cars.

The life of pads and/or discs is very dependent on your driving style and traffic conditions as well as the quality, or otherwise, of components fitted.

My own Astra 1.8 can't be compared directly with your Vectra SRi, anymore than our driving styles or patterns of use, but I get 40,000 out of pads front & rear and 80,000 out of the disks. It's an auto which does wear the brakes a bit more than a manual.
Vectra 04 Sri - Rear Brakes - sierraman
The lip you mention is,presumably,on the disc-it is wear so you may need new discs soon.Mintex,Ferodo or GM pads should be fine,although the GM pads I fitted to an Omega recently were made in India,the owner complained of squealing which has not been curable,so possibly not of the quality they should be.