Golf Mk3 VR6 Starter motor - VR6
Hello,

The earth strap on my starter motor perished about 12 months ago. As a temporary bodge I attached a new earth strap by clipping it to the remenants of the perished one. This bodge is now failing.

My mechanic advised I need a new starter motor (£120 plus Vat and fitting), but I don't think I do as its only the earth strap thats broken.

So...now to my question... I am going to attempt to remove the starter this weekend so that I can remove the crocodile clips and make a permanent repair. How do I go about attaching bare wire to the body of the starter motor? As far as I can see the original was 'stuck' to the starter body rather than attached via a bolted connection.

Thanks for reading.
Golf Mk3 VR6 Starter motor - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Use one of the mounting bolts for the stsrter motor? I assume that you can find a suitable pre-made earth strap from s motor factor and find a convenient 'chassis' esrthing point.
In the 'good old days' IIRC the starter motor was earthed by being bolted to the engine assembly and a separate strap was fitted elsewhere.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Golf Mk3 VR6 Starter motor - bikemade3
Metal jubilee clip to clamp lead to body. Insulate clamp to ensure it doesn't inadvertently earth @ any other point