'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - top turkey
Hi all.

I have been driving my wife's 1.25 LX Fiesta Zetec and have noticed what can only be described as strings of horsehair type material coming out of the exhaust. I am assuming that the exhaust is far from optimum, but not being very technical, I'd like to know what this is likely to be before it sees a garage.

Although I don't drive it too often, there is currently no noticeable effect to the performance of the car.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian.
--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - bimmer-driver
Sounds to me like the catalytic convertor has had enough.

Ben
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Dynamic Dave
Sounds to me like the catalytic convertor has had enough.

The cat is more towards the front of the system, so I doubt it'll be that.
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - martint123
Sometimes silencers are packed with a sort of fiberglass wadding.
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Adam {P}
I think it would be the silencer wadding. My Fiesta cat broke up and I never got anything through the exhaust...it just caught fire!

--
Adam
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - nick
The back box is rusting out inside allowing the fibre packing to come out. I'd change the back box asap.
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Civic8
If the baffle/sound proofing is starting to come away,it will gradually block the pipe,and cause running problems as well as sound
--
Steve
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Mondaywoe
Certainly sounds like the damping material from the back box working its way out, but don't discount the possibility that someone has stuffed something up your exhaust'for a laugh'....

Graeme
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Colonel Panic
Years ago, I was barrelling down the motorway when there was an almighty bang from under the car, I pulled to the hard shoulder and nearly had a heart attack as I saw blonde hair on the floor coming from under the back of the car, I got down and saw the back box had split open and this hair was coming out of that. Phew! I too never knew it was in there.
--
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - Civic8
Two skins on a silencer ,In between two is sound buffer,it assists in reducing engine sounds,the pipes internal with holes in are to disperse the sound in different directions But with a plate in front to reflect these sounds back,on reflection these sounds counteract the original sound making the exhaust very much less noisy than it was or would be.if the casing has rusted to the point this buffer material is coming out of exhaust tailpipe enough rust would have built up to start causing a problem,even though it has not been noticed as yet
--
Steve
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - John S
Nothing to do with the 'cat'. Definitely the rear silencer packing coming out. Means the silencer is falling apart with rust internally. A new rear box is needed.

JS
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - top turkey
Thanks very much to all the replies to this - I appreciate the time you've all taken.

Got a quote of £60 plus VAT for a new rear box.

Cheers.
--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - ShereKhan
I had exactly the same problem on my 95N Rover 214. I had some odd looks when I pullled up in the company car park. I'd fitted a cheap rear box (£25) and it just went after 15mths. I think the short runs I was doing in the car killed the rear box.
--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
'Horse Hair' from exhaust - 98 Fiesta - robert
Interesting one this - how about 2 extremes .......

1) We had a Corsa 1.4 16v. Used for short journeys from new - the exhaust needed replacing @ 2 years old - the rear had simply rusted away from the inside!

2) A pal of mine has a Diesel Scenic - X reg used as a taxi - has 270,000 miles on the clock and has the original exhaust.

So, it seems that the cycle from hot to cold and the water generated in the warming up process is key to how quickly these systems rust out!