VW oil recommendation - zilyod
I need to do a 30,000 mile oil change on my 1 litre March 02 VW LUPO, but can't find the oil recommended in handbook at Halfords. There is an oil on the Halfords chart which they say is for my car but on the can it says do not use if your handbook recommends another oil. Can I use it anyway or do I have to fork out for the VW oil? Cheers.
VW oil recommendation - mark999
Try your VW dealer their Quantum brand oils are very good and reasonably priced. I paid £15 for a tub of the semi-synthetic
VW oil recommendation - Roger Jones
A 30k oil-change interval? That would scare me to death. Oil is cheap, even at $65 a barrel; engines aren't.

I agree with mark999: buy VW Quantum. And, if it were my car, I would change the oil at intervals not greater than 10k at most.
VW oil recommendation - oilman
The oil you need is coded VW 500.00.

It'll be either 10w-40 or 5w-40.

Do not use a semi-synthetic for more than 6000 miles and a fully synthetic for more than 12000 miles.

Cheers
Simon
VW oil recommendation - Bill Payer
The oil you need is coded VW 500.00.
It'll be either 10w-40 or 5w-40.
Do not use a semi-synthetic for more than 6000 miles and
a fully synthetic for more than 12000 miles.
Cheers
Simon

Does that apply to my Merc too, which is rapidly approaching 20,000 miles on its original oil (never even topped it up)?
VW oil recommendation - Happy Blue!
I think that can safely be answered as yes.

Change the oil twice a frequently as the manufacturer recommends, and no less frequently than oilman suggests. He knows what he is talking about.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
VW oil recommendation - AlastairW
Change the oil twice a frequently as the manufacturer recommends, and

I agree. My manual say 12.5k or 12 months, but the oil was starting to look dirty at 6 months, so got it changed anyway. (National Tyres, £20 - thoroughly recommend)
VW oil recommendation - Roberson
VW500.00 is quite an old specification isn't it? I use this in my '93 Polo as its better than the other VW501.01 spec and it can be bought at reasonable prices iirc.

oilman, you give time limits in mileage intervals, but what about time? Not meaning to hijack the thread, but if you do 6000 miles per year, (not short urban journeys, but infrequent longer journeys) does this still apply?

If I were you, I would refer to the handbook first, as opposed to the Halford guide. Cross reference the desired VW spec (if its like mine, they'll give more than one) with the correct viscosity, and then look for an oil which matches them.
VW oil recommendation - oilman
Indeed, 500.00 is an old spec, there are better ones out there depending on the car.

If you do low mileage in 12 months then a 12 monthly change is still adviseable.

Cheers
Simon