Focus TDDI Endura problem - truthteller
There is a knocking/tapping noise seemingly coming from the top left hand side of the engine accompanied by a fair bit of grey smoke,thinking this was a broken valve spring or a sticky valve i took the head off for inspection and cleaned everything and reseated valves while i was there,put it back together and the noise/smoke was still there,i changed an injector but still no joy,i noticed that the top of pistons 1-3+4 seemed to be normal(dry and usual discolouration) but the top of 3 seemed to be wet as if the fuel had not burnt properly,there is engine management on the car but it does not show there is a problem and the car starts a treat and the turbo seems to be ok,do these symptoms signal a fault in the fuel system and would this cause the knocking i describe??
i had the car for about 2 weeks doing about 500 trouble free miles before the problem came about,it had not really been serviced properly by the last owner----any ideas would be most gratefully recieved as the missus is gettinga bit miffed at having to use her bike to do the weekly shop and has just got over having half a focus engine lying around the kitchen--i dont want to go any further like piston area til ive picked everyones brains----come on you diesel experts out there save me!!!!...thanks.
Focus TDDI Endura problem - RichardW
Sounds like you have low compression on that cylinder. Did you have the head skimmed? Might not be flat over that cylinder, or may have a small crack in it somewhere. Try doing a compression test and see what that reveals.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Focus TDDI Endura problem - truthteller

Ha ha ha ha is it really 10 years ago that i posted this?????? seems like 3 or 4....... sorry i did not post an update but i forgot my password etc etc and kinda forgot about this site........i always moan when people dont update as it can always help someone .........

My problem turned out to be a little end had gone....i wouldve found it earlier if i had looked in the sump first............ there was the remains of a little end bearing............... i got a second hand one and chucked it in and voilla.....kept it a few years and sold it on............ must say there was more to it than that ........ LOL................. better late than never eh?????