BMW Run-flat tyres - mp3_player
Is it possible to replace the Run-flat tyres as fitted on most BMW 5 series, with standard tyres, or are the wheel rims different in some way? And if so, does it improve the ride quality on 17in & 18 in wheels?
Have any 5 Series owners any experience of this?
BMW Run-flat tyres - turbo11
I am not 100% certain, but i beleive that the wheel rims are standard.The run flat tyre is of a much stiffer construction, hence when it loses pressure inside,the carcass of the tyre does not deform.A clever idea, that has been around for a long time, but the trade off is a stiffer tyre which will give a firmer and harsher ride than a standard tyre and will cost much more.
BMW Run-flat tyres - Roly93
This depends on the run-flat technology they are using, (also dependant on the tyre manufacturer).

Some makers have gone down the route of reinforced tyres on standard rims, whilst others have gone for dedicated rims.

Have a look at this URL www.blackcircles.com/general/technology
BMW Run-flat tyres - Aprilia
Earlier ones had a different rim I think. Later ones (with Bridgestone tyres) used a standard rim. I think a special machine is required to get the tyres off.
BMW Run-flat tyres - tyrexpert
The rims are will take a standard non runflat tyre. Do not mix runflat and standard across an axle and preferably do not mix at all. Although many mini owners change from runflat because of cost, the tyre manufacturers are telling the tyre trade that VMs are "tuning" suspension set ups to take account of the much stiffer sidewalls. Aprilia may have better info on this than I. All 1 series are on runflats as will all 3 series by the end of 05. All 5 and 6 series by early to middle 06. Is it price or ride quality that makes you want to change. If the suspension has been "tuned" to stiffer tyres you may find standard tyres give a soft and sloppy ride. When having runflats changed make sure that your tyre shop has had the special training in runflat fitment otherwise those alloys could easily get totalled. Centres with the following associations have had this training. 1 Pirelli Driver and Performance centres. 2 Goodyear/Dunlop Hi Q centres 3 Bridgestone First Stop centres 4 Michelin accredited centres. All Independents with any or all of these associations will have the special fitting machines available to do the work. ( cost of these machines £3.5k--£7k)
BMW Run-flat tyres - mp3_player
Thanks for all the advice. I had read that a new 535d owner had swapped his run-flat tyres for normal ones, and I had thought this wasn't feasible. I was looking at buying a used 5 series, and had read that the run-flats ruin the ride quality. Knowing that it's possible to change the run-flats to normal tyres opens up the market as most cars come with the optional run-flats.
BMW Run-flat tyres - ajb020
I have a 530d M Sport on a 2005 and have changed all my tyres to standard tyres and the change is unbelievable, much better ride, smoother and quieter and now hopefully no more issues with rims cracking. MAKE SURE you get the mobility kit or a spare wheel and jack !!!
BMW Run-flat tyres - macavity
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=75339