Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - mr b quality
Looking to get a new car currently own a fiesta and was going to to get a Rover 75 until all the problems with the company so I am currently weighing up whether to get a Mk2 Vectra T reg onwards or a Honda accord. Does anyone have any experience with these cars and can offer a recommendation ??.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - TimW
All I can say is, the Honda is less likely to break
Do vectras have reliability problems then ??. I know Honda is going to be more reliable but as with alot of Japanese cars I find then a bit on the bland side to look at.
No more so than most cars, I'm sure. But Hondas are expceptional, in most cases.

That's the only problem I had with the Accord - the ones I can afford are too dull.
But I guess on the other hand I think I'd rather have dull than spend alot of money nursing a car back to health.

I'm currently trying to get to the "It's just a car" mentality myself!
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Burnout2
I ran a 2000 W 2.0 Accord for a couple of years, and didn't have a single problem in 50,000 hard-used miles. Utter reliability tends to come as standard if they're serviced on schedule. It's a fairly anoymous looking car, but a certainly no more bland than a Vectra!

Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - prm
I've been running a vectra for 4 years, absolutely reliable, good car, in fact i've just got an 03 vectra 2.0dti cause i liked the old one so much, its up for sale at the moment, but on the R reg, bit old for you. Hondas are good too, but the parts are a fortune
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - cheddar
I had two Vectras,a '96 2.0 SRi hatch which was troublesome and a '98 2.5 V6 SRi estate which was great, reckon one of the last of the old Vectra would be a good buy, i.e. VFM perhaps a 2.2 petrol, great engine, the diesels are not so refined.

What is your budget?
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - DavidHM
I tend to find Japanese cars dull, but... except in the very top spec versions, I find the Vectra even duller, and the Accord is probably the most interesting of the Japanese cars in that 5-year-old age group. For that reason alone, I'd tend towards the Accord, although it depends very much on the spec.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Stuartli
If it's the previous Vectra then there's only one answer and it's not a V sign..:-)

Even 10 or 12 year old Accords have more class, especially interior wise, than the Vauxhall and certainly superior overall on reliability.

Even so I wouldn't have any qualms about still buying a Rover 75, despite the recent sad events.

Parts and servicing will be available for a long time to come and paying for one of the better warranties could be invaluable cover although, hopefully, never needed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - 9000
had both of these a vectra 98 1.8- had an oil pump failure which starved the top of the engine of oil and cost a fortune to fix. Then a roller bearing in the gearbox failed necessitating a full rebuild also costing a fortune - would never touch one again.

Now got an Accord 2001 2.0 which now has 135k on the clock. Servicing is quite expensive @ Honda approx 150 minor/ 250 major but the benefit I have reaped is no unplanned maintenance bills at all. You could obviously go the independent route and possible halve these costs but I'd recommend still using Honda parts. They are well built cars and interior is of solid quality mine is still on original clutch/ exhaust etc.

I get approx 300 miles on a £45 tank with mixed city driving / motorway- more city though.

If you get one get an executive- comes with heated electric leather, climate, cruise, 4 airbags and sat nav if you're lucky.

HJ's CBC warns of weak gearboxes but I've had no probs. As has been said they are bland (discreet/ understated I like to think) but I chose to put reliability/ safety before style and economy.- you don't see Accords featuring much in the technical forum either which is always a good sign. I reckon mine will be good for 200k, no aircon probs either (a weak point on the vectra)

Used Accords are cheap - I'd say mine was worth between £2.5-£3k now though if you're looking for a low miler you'll obviously pay a bit more more.

Hope this is useful

Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - spinner
I think the accord is better to drive than the vectra - at least as an alround experience. A more refined engine as well.
Not exciting to look at, neither is the vectra.

The accord shouldn't give you any reliability problems but look out for:

Misting headlights, dodgy air con, gearbox synchro.

The interior is a bit dour, but is better put together than the Vectra. You'll have to look for SE spec for a CD player/alloy wheels though.

The 1.8 is group 8 insurance, front/side airbags, good security, looks good with metallic paint, costs a bit to service + oil changes (9000/4500 miles), rarely breaks down (unless you run out of petrol ). Look for a facelifted version: it has a bee sting aerial on the roof instead of a retractable one on the side + changed gear ratios (2001 onwards). There are lots around on the s/h market as well, so shop around.

It must have a FHSH though.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Alex147
Definately the Accord. Agree they can be bland, but the Sport spec is worth hunting out. It handles and drives really well, and reliability-wise, you can't beat it.
The only criticism I have is the interior - a bit bland and cheap looking.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Carmad 10000
Hi,

I used to sell Honda's and I would seriously consider an Accord as a consiquence. Ok, the previous generation does look slightly dated now, but there are some great bargains and they are highly specified, well built vehicles.

My mum had a vectra a few years ago and had no end of problems with it - in total it had 3 new steering racks, a replacement ecu, the traction control repaired 3 or 4 times and a new clutch in the space of 2 years/20,000 miles on a 1 year old car. Not very impressive really.

But while working for Honda, I can honestly say that problems just didnt occur with them! they just seemed rock solid.

I would recommend that you look at getting yourself one of the following:

A 2.0/2.3 Type V - This is top of the range with full leather, electric everything, climate, elec sunroof, alloys, wood trim, chrome door handles externally and some even have sat nav. I sold one of these about 3 months ago for £7,500 a 99/S with 37k miles from honda dealership for £7,500. They normally go for £7-10k depending on mileage/age.

2.0 Executive - virtually the same spec as above, but it doesnt have the wood interior and chrome door handles and a few other minor bits. But you still get electric s/r, climate, drivers seat is electric, full leather, alloys etc. These go for between £6,500-11,000 depending on the age you are looking at and mileage.

If this is the route you want to take I would recommend looking at autotrader and speaking to your local dealer. Say there is a car you like the look of which is miles away, the dealer can often get it brought down for you.

Alternatively you could consider a Passat as these are going for good money now too and are a bit more up to date in design.

Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I would go for the Honda too. Not inspiring, but reliable.
If it is a T reg Vectra you're looking at, the seats will probably be shot unless the driver was 10 stone. Seats in rep-mobiles at around 80k+ lost any support and give backache very easily. I have the osteopath bills to prove it.
What is your budget?

about £6500.

A previous post said that it should still be ok to buy a Rover 75 (ie parts and servicing) despite recent events, I know this topic has probably been done to death but is this true ? as this car would be my preference over a Vectra or Honda accord.

Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - bbroomlea{P}
My local rover dealer (Reg Vardy) is still selling cars with 2 years warranty and guaranteeing the service of the vehices of minimum of 6 years. Was very tempted to trade my 1999 75 for something a little newer and considerably less miles and still tempted but need to do some persuading!! - £6500 will get you a pretty much top spec 52 plate or 03 plate car with low miles..at my dealer anyway!

My Dads company owns a fleet of around 80 rep cars - running upwards of 150K and he has had fewer warranty claims on the 75's and Audi A4s than anything else (including Accords and lots of vectras!)

Check local MG Rover dealer and see what they will do, other than that, the accord would seem a safer bet over a vectra and with better engines and ride.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - MichaelR
Accord, easily. The Vectra is a nasty car in comparison. The handling is spongy, the steering is vague and the interior is cheap and not very nice looking.

Any particular reason why you are looking at the Vectra and not the dynamically superior, better all round Mondeo? You'd get a T plate Mondeo for between £2000 and £2500.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Carmad 10000
Hi,

Although the 75 was a good car - in all honesty have never liked it. Never cared for the retro styling and although deals look tempted and the chinese are probably going to continue production of 75....i still wouldnt bother!

Im not saying buy the honda, but its much less risky.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Caveman
the dynamically superior, better all round Mondeo?

Are you sure you're not on commission ;-)
>> the dynamically superior, better all round Mondeo?
Are you sure you're not on commission ;-)

Sadly not! Be good though wouldn't it :-)
Any particular reason why you are looking at the Vectra and
not the dynamically superior, better all round Mondeo? You'd get a
T plate Mondeo for between £2000 and £2500.

I had a K reg Cavalier 2.0ls a few years back and although most people wouldn't think the car was anything special I quite liked it good cruiser and pretty reliable so my natural possible choice is a vectra.

The reason I am not looking at a Mondeo is I currently own a Fiesta Ghia 1.4 Zetec S and it has a nippy engine and handles well but it has been totally unreliable and there always seems to be something wrong with it, I have spent a small fortune on repairs to this car in the 4 1/2 years I have had it so subsequently this has put me off buying a Ford.
Thanks for all the opinions It seems from the majority of the posts that the Accord is the one to go for !!!.
I agree that the Mondeo should be concidered as an alternative however I must spring to the Vectra's defence.

The 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 litre Ecotec engines are very crisp and refined, the equal or better of the Honda engines, the 2.0 has slightly less top end than the Honda 2.0 though more midrange, the 2.2 is simply more punchy. The V6 Vectras are also very punchy though not as refined at low revs as, for instance, a Mondeo V6 though they smooth out nicely at higher revs.

Re Handling the SRi Vectras had improved suspension introduced spring '98 (16" wheel models) when the GSi was launched. These mods were made to all models along with the face lift. The original '95 Vectra gained a poor reputation for handling which stuck with it however these suspension mods along with crisp petrol engines made it a pretty good car to drive.
Just to add a 2.2 SRi or CDX, hatch or estate, on a X or Y plate with history should be great VFM and a good drive as well.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Deryck Tintagel
I have the 1.8CDX saloon and really can't fault it in almost three years of ownership - apart from a refill of the aircon needed. The handling is actually quite good with the 205/55/16 tyres although now that the rubber has orn to about 2.5mm it has lost some of the ability.

One thing I would comment on is the layout of Honda cars switchgear. I haven't driven an Accord for 10 years but I have been driving the current Civic. I personally find the layout very annoying. I have never liked lighting switches on the indicator stalk, the instrument dimmer can only be reached by putting your hand through the steering wheel, and generally switches are all over the place. At least Vauxhall have got this right - everytinh is logically grouped.

I also found the Honda seats very uncomfortable after 100 miles. Seat-back adjust is very notchy as it is adjusted through a lever rather than a turn wheel as on many cars.
I had a K reg Cavalier 2.0ls a few years back
and although most people wouldn't think the car was anything special
I quite liked it good cruiser and pretty reliable so my
natural possible choice is a vectra.
The reason I am not looking at a Mondeo is I
currently own a Fiesta Ghia 1.4 Zetec S and it has
a nippy engine and handles well but it has been totally
unreliable and there always seems to be something wrong with it,
I have spent a small fortune on repairs to this car
in the 4 1/2 years I have had it so subsequently
this has put me off buying a Ford.

This is unfortunate. The Cavalier was an excellent car but the Vectra which replaced it was not - part of the reason why it was slated so much at launch is becuase it had very high expectations as a result of the ability of the Cavalier.

As HJ says, barely half a step forward from the Cavalier. Reliability is also not hot.

I know nothing about Fiestas so will not comment but I have found the reliability of the Mk2 Mondeo to be exmplary. We ran a 98R from 98 until 2002 and nothing went wrong, ever. I've now had my 99V 2.0 Ghia X for over a year and have had similar success despite over 100k on the clock. It seems to be the same story everywhere - a reliable, cheap, value for money and good to drive car.

I would test drive one at the very least - I think you will be very happy with either an Accord or a Mondeo, both are good cars. You will, however, get a considerably newer Mondeo for your money than you will Accord.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - turbo11
The honda's tend to be fairly bulletproof.My best mate had a W reg.Vectra estate company car.He was always slagging it off-"worst car i've ever driven"etc.(he now has a volvo s60 -which he rates very highly)
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
>My best mate had a W reg.Vectra estate company car.
>He was always slagging it off-"worst car i've ever driven"etc

Same for me. Got a hand-me-down T plate 1.8 hatch, followed by a 2.0 V plate hatch (facelift). Both have put me off the Griffin's offerings since. Unreliable, shoddy trim and uncomfortable ride.
Both were a bag of ....!
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - Dynamic Dave
When I had my previous Vectra, the only probs I had in the 2½ years of owning it was a split air con pipe (replaced under warranty, and a common fault with the 2.2 engined Vectras anyway) one headlight and brakelight bulb failure, and a worn rear suspension bush - again, a common fault.

Car was 3½ yrs old and had done 40,000 miles when I sold it. Trim still intact, everything still working, etc etc.
Opinions used Vectra Vs Accord - netlang
My Wife has a 2002 Vectra and I have a 2004 Accord - Just go for the Accord [absolutely superb]