Whistling diesel - peugeot 306 xtdt - P 2501
Hello

I have a peugeot 306 xtdt (1997) which thus far has given very reliable service. However as i was driving home last night with the window open i could hear a sort of whistling noise as i accelerated from around 1500 rpm to 2000. It is a very high pitched noise and rises in tone with the engine note as i am accelerating.

I think it has got worse over the last couple of journeys because i could hear it on the way to work this morning with the windows closed!

My guess is one of the turbo pipes has cracked somewhere. I have had a look under the bonnet, but nothing seems amiss. I haven't revved the engine while i was looking - will do that tonight. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? where to look etc.

the noise can be heard at idle and in neutral.

Thanks for any replies.
Whistling diesel - Reggie
Check your exhaust after the turbo to the catalytic converter. It may be starting to split, requiring a new section of exhust.
Reggie
Whistling diesel - Altea Ego
On one car I had it was a singing Turbo bearing.

Like the famous song lyric after a while "the music wouldnt play" - prolly cos the turbo had stopped.
Whistling diesel - P 2501
Thanks for the replies. I had thought of the turbo RF, but it seems to go quiet at higher revs (>2000 rpm). Could the turbo just "sing" at lower revs?

I must admit i hadnt considered the exhaust though. i suppose at 8 years old and all original maybe it could be that.

Both the local garages i know and trust are busy until tuesday however, so i hope it doesnt let go big time - whatever it is.

I still think it is a turbo pipe that has split, but access is so poor i cant see any cracks at all.

Any more ideas?
Yes - Mine would "sing" at low revs & idle (under 2k revs) when cold to warm, but quiet at all revs when hot.

It was a definite mechanical singing tho could not be confused with an airleak or blowing type whistle.

It was a Cav 1.7td btw and sang cheerfully for 15k miles before it well err stopped. (the turbo that is)
Thats the thing RF, i can't quite be 100% sure it is a whistle. It could be interpreted as a whirr i suppose, but it is pretty quiet so it is difficult to tell.

Thats what makes me suspect the turbo area rather than the exhaust.

I dont think the turbo is likely to be the problem however, as i have changed the oil every 3k religiously and let it cool down after a hot run etc. Things do fail unexpectedly though.
Forgot to add, doesn't the turbo "ride" on a fluid bearing suppled by the oil pressure? rather then the traditional roller type?

"Forgot to add, doesn't the turbo "ride" on a fluid bearing suppled by the oil pressure? rather then the traditional roller type"

Probably not when the fluid bearing is no more and consists of burnt black carbon. (it kinda went a bit irregular on oil changes!)
Whistling diesel - Reggie
My 406 started "whistling" much more noticably than usual a couple of months ago, and the cause was a split in the weld where the down pipe went into the cat. My 406 is seven years old. If it is the cat, if you cannot get a straight piece of pipe i.e. straight through, Andrew Page are usually reasonable. A Pug cat will be expensive.

To check exaust, get underneath the car near the downpipe/cat and look for "soot" deposits.

I don't think that there are problems with the turbos on these engines usually.

Reggie
Thanks Reggie. I have also been advised elsewhere that it could be the manifold to intercooler seal. Apparently this is common on these engines and produces a whistle on acceleration.

My 306 does have a cat, but i don't know if it is possible to get a straight piece of pipe for it. It is a mark I 1997.

I have a look underneath this evening.
Whistling diesel - Andrew-T
The turbo on my 306 XTdt of just the same age used to sing audibly with the window closed, and I didn't think it was faulty. But I presume yours has only done it recently?
Well, thanks to all who replied. It was the exhaust in the end. It had started blowing just before the cat very near to where it actually bolts on to the engine.

Once i had got underneath (ish) the car and revved the engine it was obvious what the trouble was. Whole exhaust pretty bad condition along its whole length, but in very poor nick by the cat.

I was fearing the worst when i took it in, and was quoted 179.99 for the cat alone, but the guys at brittania tyres in Derby managed to find me a straight piece of pipe with no cat and cobbled the whole thing together for 100 quid.

Seems to drive a fraction better now, but sounds "boomier" and a bit clatterier, but that doesn't bother me. Little bit more pull in higher gear too.

Thanks again.