Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - cdb
Recently collected my brand new car from dealership.

During the handover demo with the sales person I spotted a defect and said I wanted the part replaced. They agreed to order and replace the part. I have since been informed the part will be a re-conditioned part and not a brand new part. I'm not very happy about this.

Why should a fault that existed before I had taken delivery of a brand new car be rectified with a re-conditioned part?

My contracted order with the dealer was for a brand new car (made of brand new components), the fault clearly existed before I took delivery of the car and was pointed out to the dealer immediately on delivery when I first sat in the car before it had been driven anywhere. Can I not therefore insist that the replacement part is brand new? A like for like replacement.

Anyone any experience of this - is it normal?

Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - blue_haddock
I would not be happy at that being done to one of my customers cars - if they are unwilling to replace it with a new part you may have grounds to reject the vehicle.

What part is it by the way? i'd imagine that fitting re-conned parts would have implications on the warranty.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Quinny100
I would expect a faulty part on a brand new car to be replaced with another new part, unless their was a very good reason why a new part could not be sourced in a timely manner.

That said, I did accept a replacement wing mirror mechanism off a stock car a couple of years ago when I took delivery of a Xsara and they were on back order for 8 weeks and I couldn't be doing with being unable to adjust the mirror and felt it was a safety issue.

I suppose it rather depends on the part - if it was something simple and carried the same warranty as a new part and you wouldn't notice I'd probably be inclined to just accept it.

The fact you haven't named the part suggests to me that its probably something rather minor and its more of a matter of principle than anything else. I'd agree, but sometimes lifes too short.
It's the instrument binnacle. The cover glass (plastic!) is quite badly scratched and has a lump of debris stuck on the inside.

They can't replace just the 'glass' so have to replace the whole unit, which includes all the instruments (speedo, rev counter and other gauges) and the onboard computer and alarm\immobiliser controls etc. Quite a complicated part with a lot of electronics so I don't think I should have to put up with a re-con unit.

There quality control failed- either at the dealer or at the factory and I don't think I should suffer because of it.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm assuming it's an attempt at cost cutting.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Hugo {P}
I would have thought that the warranty would cover the cost of repair in full.

The dealer shouln't need to pennypinch, it sound like the manufacturer is though, or some spotty work experience oik there has told you this and it is not true.

A telephone call to the Dealer Principle should resolve this....

H
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Aprilia
Don't know what brand it is, but some VM's do specifically include the use of re-con parts in their new-car warranty (BMW springs to mind, for one).
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Aprilia
PS - my worry would be not just the part, but the process of replacement. In some big dealerships about half the technicians are 'trainees' and the job might not be done 100%.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - L'escargot
PS - my worry would be not just the part, but
the process of replacement. In some big dealerships about half the
technicians are 'trainees' and the job might not be done 100%.

These are my thoughts. Is the fault sufficiently bad for you to request rectification or would it be safer for you to just accept it? I assume that it is only a cosmetic fault, and that it doesn't affect function. Sometimes "Rather the devil you know than the devil you don't" can be a good maxim.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
I could probably understand it if I'd had the car 2 yrs and a part was defective, to replace it with a re-con part would be reasonable.

But where the fault was there before I took delivery and spotted immediately on delivery, I think it is unreasonable to replace a brand new aprt with a used one!

I suspect from the pattern of the scratches, someone has rubbed it with a gritty cloth either during pdi\prep or at the factory. The dealer mentioned something that they'd have to pay for this and some other parts that were scratched\damaged too.

I'm therefore wondering if they had signed the car off as ok having missed these problems so now have to foot the bill themselves rather than claim it back from the manufacturer? Is this how it works?
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - patently
You're paying for a new car.

You should be given a new car.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Altea Ego
Sorry - You are not paying for a NEW car ie one made from totally NEW parts. You will find in the small print that your new car can quite legally be made up from reconditioned, or remanufactured parts.

You are paying for an UNREGISTERED car.

However I would reject this car, I sincerely doubt if a binicle/dash assembly can be changed and not develop a a rattle later.

Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Blue {P}
When I left Ford last month we had a problem, the Factory fit tyres for the Streetka were on back order until October, and we had an 05 plate with an unfixable puncture on a rear tyre.

We ended up swapping one off a car from the forecourt that was in new condition and really had only done a *very* low mileage. The reason being that they didn't want to mismatch the tyre brands on a brand new car, as it was rear tyres we were dealing with there was no evidence of use on the tyre.

I think they replaced the tyre on the used car with an aftermarket one, but I left the company before they did it so I'm not really certain.

Don't know how people would look on this if they knew it had happened to their brand new car.

Personally, the tyre was so impossible to distinguish from a new one that I would have accepted it on my new car. Although if I had known it had happened I might have been cheeky and asked for a tank of fuel, I'd threaten them with a bad CSI score on my survey if I didn't leave happy. :-)

Blue
You are paying for an UNREGISTERED car.

I've never seen that on the small print for cars I have bought, and (yes,) I have read it!

My understanding has always been that I was purchasing a new item.
"may contain xxxxx"
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Baskerville
"may contain xxxxx"

Nuts?
oh yes, plenty of them.
"may contain xxxxx"

You've lost me there, RF.

Sorry.
there will be a clause, somewhere saying "may contain remanufactured (or some similar other phrase) parts or assemblies"
there will be a clause, somewhere saying "may contain remanufactured (or
some similar other phrase) parts or assemblies"

Ah! ... thanks.

No, in my recollection it didn't. And I read the contracts pretty carefully, and queried one item with the result that the dealer principal called to "clarify things" - basically to agree with me!

But we are talking about Porsche and BMW here.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - WhiteTruckMan
For that matter, how new is your 'new' car?

has it spent the last 6-8 months sat in a field? or a compound near the docks, with all that lovely, healthy, sea air surrounding it?

WTM
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - pmh
If they have to replace/ remove a significant amount of instrument /dash board, I think I would be concerned about long term rattles etc! If, as you suggest, thay are changing a lot of behind dash electronics as well, I think would rather have a scratch with the original factory build. (This assumes that it has not all been changed already because of another problem, and that is how the item has aquired the scratch.

Do we know what make? or have I missed it?

--

pmh (was peter)

Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - L'escargot
If they have to replace/ remove a significant amount of
instrument /dash board, I think I would be concerned about long
term rattles etc! If, as you suggest, thay are changing a
lot of behind dash electronics as well, I think would
rather have a scratch with the original factory build.

I absolutely agree.

If the damage is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect function or durability I would seriously consider letting sleeping dogs lie. It's an unfortunate fact that minor fasteners (especially snap-together fittings) only really go together totally satisfactorily once. Your fascia assembly may well be awash with these types of fasteners. Also some fasteners require knacks or skills only learned from frequent practice, and whereas the production assembler will have acquired theses skills the average garage technician may not have done. In addition, when the fascia assembly is fitted at the factory the process will be aided by not being hampered by things that are added subsequently. The garage technician will undoubtedly not want (or will not be expected to) disassemble half the interior of the car just to make the job easier.

I'm aware that it is a new car and that you want everything to be as near perfect as possible but (if it were me) I would seriously consider the possible consequences of requesting rectification.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - pmh
Why dont you go for a discount, the salesman will probably have made some excess profit on the deal (ie above his absolute bottom line) and will be able to throw in some "extras to the value of"........ As long as it does not cost the company real money you maybe able to negotiate a deal.

Try and find out if the Service department really dont want to do the the job and use that as leverage. Service managers dont really like the Sales Department, despite the fact that without them there would be no customers! For this reason, free servicing may not be the best of deals unless it comes off the cost of sales budget!. I would look for mats, boot liners roof bars etc.....

--

pmh (was peter)

Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Stuartli
You state it is a new car. Therefore that is what you should receive. Don't accept any limp excuses or compromises, but insist that a brand new instrument binnacle is installed.

A new car costs a considerable amount of money and you expect it to be in A1 condition when delivered.

I would be quite happy to accept that certain parts on the car may have been produced from recycled materials, but these are for all intents and purposes new.

Why not have a word with your local Tradings Standards department?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Round The Bend
Not sure how it works with the manufacturer but I hope the dealer isn't planning to invoice for a new part, supply you with the re-con, then pocket the difference.
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies so far.

In answer to a few qu that have cropped up......

The car is indeed brand new and was built to order.

I've checked the documentation and there is nothing about 'your new car could contain xxxx re-manufactured parts'. I've never seen that anywhere either!

It wasn't the only problem btw, the bumper is being resprayed for a start due to a scratch on it at delivery and one of the roof rails is being replaced too due to it being scratched and there being a lump out of it. Oh, and the centre console was scratched too.
Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - madf
On the basis that it seems the car has been badly cared for, I'd be pfd minded and INSIST the car is : as described on the invoice.. NEW.

(pfd = pink fluffy dice as per the swear filter)

And take a copy of the comments on this BB along (about rattles0 and insist in advance that you will be extra vigilant for rattles. If you warn them in advance, they might take extra care on the job.

It's truly an apalling comment that we have to say such things and a inditement of the the way the industry operates...

madf

Use of re-conditioned parts on a new car - Mudguts
Please don't take offense if you think what I'm about to say is a little blunt but...

You are a mug if you accept it.

They are, without a doubt offering you a poor car and bear in mind the defects you have so far mentioned about are only the ones you know about.
Spoken to Trading Standards who were very helpful. Summary is........

Goods should be of merchantable quality which includes freedom of minor defects and must be of a standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory at the time of sale.

If the goods are not of merchantable quality then the trader is in breach of contract.

Fitting a reconditioned unit would not be meeting their obligation to me, in that they are not putting me in the position I would have been in, but for their breach of contract, they should therefore replace the unit with a new unit.

AS has been expressed here, you have been warned.

You dont want mechanics taking your dash apart.