loosing power - 1998 Ford Ka - AndrewMarc
i am having bursts where the car jolts and power seems to be reduced then returns to normal. It mainly happens when just started the car. I think the sound deadening in the exhaust is comming out of the exhaust pipe and wondered if this would be the problem???????????????????????????????
loosing power - Dynamic Dave
What Car?
Diesel or petrol?
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20236
loosing power - Civic8
Think it might be wise to take to an exhaust fitters.Get them to have a look..A broken baffle will cause it. ie its floating around in the silencer..It would have to be badly corroded though to throw its contents out the tailpipe.Usualy the outside goes before that happens..
--
Steve
loosing power - AndrewMarc
its a petrol ford ka 1998 that had a full service in dec and was then MOTd in feb

{added to subject header. DD}
loosing power - AndrewMarc
help
loosing power - 1998 Ford Ka - John Bullen
Could be the exhaust as previous person has indicated (could even be that the cat has melted), so you definately need to get the exhaust looked at.

The other thing it could be is the lambda sensor.

Quite often the best bet is to take the car into Ford and get them to run a Diagnostic Test which should throw up a fault code, if it's the lambda sensor its easily resolved (NB: you can even buy the part over the web, I've used the Middlesex Tuning Centre (look on Google) to buy part at least half price compared to local Ford garage),

John
what does a diagnostic cost then as the car was cheao and is slowly gettin expensive
loosing power - 1998 Ford Ka - Civic8
Depends where you go.Anywhere between £30/50.Thats around my area.yours may be cheaper?
--
Steve
i am on a tight budget and advice over best course of action and costs in worst case scenario would be v v helpful
98 ka spluttering - AndrewMarc
my ford ka is randomly loosing power for a short time then returning to normal quickly. I have just had the backbox on the exhaust replaced but it is still happening. When this isnt happening the car is fine and was serviced in dec and MOTed last month
98 ka spluttering - Civic8
Was the exhaust back box replaced because it was found to be faulty/or replaced on the off chance it was causing the problem?..I would suggest its taken to fords for a diagnostics check.It could be several things that are causing it-from a simple vacuum pipe to ECU.the random problems are always the worst ones to diagnose.And possibly why you got the motor cheap...ie previous owner had same fault
--
Steve
98 ka spluttering - Dynamic Dave
Could it be that the catalytic convertor has partially collapsed inside and thus restricting the exhaust?
98 ka spluttering - Civic8
Could be DD but rather think it would affect engine at all revs/Hot or cold.My guess would be faulty oxygen sensor..As I mentioned why replace part of the exhaust without proving its faulty..At least so far no explanation has been put forward..I am puzzled as to why??
--
Steve