Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Dynamic Dave
**** Poll now closed. Results here:- **** www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30674&...e This weeks poll, as suggested by Kith:-

Poll 35. How often do you wash your vehicle?
More than once a week
Once a week
Every fortnight
Once a month
Once a year
Hardly ever
Never
Other

Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - L'escargot
I wash it when I think it needs it, provided that the weather is suitable and provided that I feel like it, i.e. at no specific interval. I voted "Other".
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - his nibs
Unlike the majority of people the car tends to get washed more regularly in winter; once a week is normal, but now the salt has gone it is more like once a fortnight and will drop to once a month in summer; I put this down to the fact there are a whole host of other things I would rather do in summer when it is warm than in the winter, as opposed to how dirty the car actually is.

Regards
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Altea Ego
Hmmm

Much confusion here. It centres on the word "you". Is the question "how often do *I* wash the vehicle" or "How often does the vehicle get washed"

A mulitude of answers depends upon this clarification.

Jeez sometimes I think this poll is run by Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party such is the rigging of the ballot and the result.
Much confusion here.

"Wanted - Suggestions for Poll Topics" is just that. Someone has suggested it, I posted it. I'm only the messenger ;o)

I sometimes wonder if it's worth the bother.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Stuartli
I usually wash my car at least once a week. However, as we live in a hard water area, I more often than not wait until it is about to rain.

At this point I wash the car down with a sponge and bucket of car shampoo; when finished, I sit back and let the rain rinse off the suds and, even more importantly, leave a completely streak free finish.

One of my neighbours, now in his eighties, once pointed out to me that it was about to rain as I set about washing the car. I explained the reason and he nodded sagely before pottering off.

The next time it was about to rain he adopted the same method.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - adverse camber
If I said that my neighbours know that I'm going to swap one of the cars when I start washing them....
Such an excuse won't wash....
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - doctorchris
At the moment I'm waiting for a delivery date for a replacement car so have stopped washing altogether.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - NowWheels
Jeez sometimes I think this poll is run by Robert Mugabe's
Zanu-PF party such is the rigging of the ballot and the result.

Outrageous allegation!

The 143% of voters who chose "more than once a week" did so freely, of their own will. Including the dead voters.

And if you persist in suggesting otherwise, you'll be locked up for showing disrespect to Zanu-DD.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Avant
Agree entirely with L'Escargot. It depends how dirty the cars are and how far we've been in them.

Also affected by the occasional long trip I do in the Honda to try to keep the miles down on mine - washing it is less messy than a divorce.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - madux
I'd like to say "When it gets embarrassingly dirty", but judging by the several bucketloads of Wiltshire's finest that I hosed-off from under the wheel-arches at the weekend, I should say "Not often enough!" - and that was just our small car. Can't wait to see what is being carted around under the big one!!
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - blue_haddock
I just throw the keys at one of our valters whenever i feel the car is sufficently dirty to need a clean.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Ex-Moderator
11% more than once a week ?

Have I woken up on a different planet today ? That's positively sad.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - keo-the-dog
squirted a hose at the windows and rear plate yesterday but that's about the limit. will get the car washed soon as i have to take my mother to airport in it and she only moans so i will pay someone to wash it...cheers...keo.
No doubt the same people who don't bother washing their cars all that often expect their next new or used car to be absolutely spotless inside and out when it's delivered....
"No doubt the same people who don't bother washing their cars all that often expect their next new or used car to be absolutely spotless inside and out when it's delivered...."

Yes? of course?

why else buy a new car?
>>No doubt the same people who don't bother washing their cars all that often expect their next new or used car to be absolutely spotless inside and out when it's delivered

Uh, yes, of course. What's your point ?

A garage doesn't have to clean a car, but if they don't they won't be selling it to me - which may or may not bother them.

I don't clean a car. As is my choice.

The two are not connected.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - PhilW
"I don't clean a car. As is my choice"
Not even before you trade it in/sell it?
An interesting point which I was considering earlier.

I don't remember ever selling a vehicle. I've passed on a few, lost a few, given away a few, but I honestly can't remember selling one to a stranger.
but I honestly can't remember selling one to a stranger.

Are you saying that people who know you still want your vehicles after you've finished with them?
I can't think what has happened to them all. Of course I've sold a few here or there for £50, but who would clean one of those before you sell it.

I've had a couple sold by brokers, so that didn't involve me in anything.

I've passed a few on, many of which are still around, but I certainly wouldn't be cleaning a car under those circumstances.

Some have been lost and/or destroyed. A few have been scrapped. I still own several.

I think over the weekend I'm going to go through my list and try and work out what happened to them all.
Mark,

On the subject of cleaning a car, you've previously admitted to doing it:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14071
And in reality I have done it more than that once. But I don't think its developing into a habit.
Is it true that a car wash in Loughboro now has a Blue Plaque on it?
>>What's your point ?>>

Hypocrisy.
Don't be silly.
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Robin Reliant
It would have been better if the poll had an "Ish" catagory addition to every answer. Then I would have been able to truthfully answer, "Once a fortnight(ish)".

No pleasing some people...
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - WhiteTruckMan
Every year, whether it needs it or not.

WTM
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - patently
What sort of wash counts?

Do you have to get the polish & wax out to bring it to a gleaming showroom shine? Or just some shampoo?

How about just pointing the hose at it to get the mud off?

Does leaving it out in the rain count?

[/pedant]
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - patently
What sort of wash counts?

Thinking about it, this is not so pedantic a question.

For example, the 911 gets its wheels wiped pretty well after every trip. Not immediately, but usually some time that evening.

A shampoo wash is maybe every few weeks for the daily cars and every few months for the 911 (not used as much!).

Yesterday, the hoover was introduced to the 3 series for the first time since I bought it last May. The 911 has about 1/3 the mileage but has seen the hoover many times...

Likewise, the 911's seats have seen the leather treatment several times but the 3 is yet to encounter it.

Anyone care to suggest what my vote should be? :-)
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - meditek
When I'm trying to sell it!
Poll 35. Washing your vehicle - Cymrogwyllt
It gets washed for free when it rains

The results of this weeks poll are:-

Poll 35. How often do you wash your vehicle?

More than once a week = 10 (6%)
Once a week = 24 (15%)
Every fortnight = 20 (12%)
Once a month = 45 (29%)
Once a year = 7 (4%)
Hardly ever = 23 (14%)
Never = 6 (3%)
Other = 20 (12%)

Total Votes: 155