Car Washes and stupid people.. - Mark (RLBS)
I\'ve always read with amusement the signs at car washes telling people to retract their aerial before use - I mean, how obvious is that and how stupid do you have to be not to know that ?

Anyway, I need an new electric aerial for my car. Someone, I think maybe DD, was talking about simply undoing the top nut, letting it unravel out, buying a new one, inserting the nylon track, and then watching it wind back in before doing up the nut.

A few questions;

Are the nylon tracky bits all of a standard length and does it matter if they\'re not ?
Are the teeth all a standard size, if not how do I know which one to get ?
Where do I get one ?

There isn\'t enough of the old one left to use as a pattern, or at least not left on the car. Although if you are using a car wash near Loughborough and it beats hell out of your car with a bent and twisted lump of metal which might once have been an aerial, then I think I might know why.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Ian (Cape Town)
Mark,
If you are fitting a power aerial, get some graphite powder down the bore of the new one before you fit it - those aerial sprays which you can get aren't half as effective.
Split a 6B pencil, pestle and mortar the lead, and bob's your uncle.
Oh, and next time, read the sign/manual. :)
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Wally Zebon
I was chuckling away to myself thinking about how stupid people can be and how it won't happen to me because I have a bee-sting aerial, when I promptly remember having to buy a replacement bee-sting after having snapped mine in two in a car wash.
So I'll be quiet now...

Car Washes and stupid people.. - Andy P
As far as I know (which needs a microscope at the moment), you need to buy a replacement aerial mast from a franchise dealer, as there appears to be no commonality between makes. My last Cavalier went through a couple in its lifetime.

Andy
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Aprilia
There are no standards - you need to buy a new mast to fit the particular model aerial fitted to your car.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Steve S
A car wash?

Mark, you surprise me. Putting your pride & joy into one of those auto-vandalism contraptions.

Haven't you got someone to hand wash it for you?
Ironically, yes. But I was minutes short from a very important lunch meeting when I suddenly realised who would be driving and so I shot into a garage to use a vacuum and a car wash.

Its not as if car washes even do a particularly good job, but I was desperate.

In fact the full story is somewhat more embarassing. I intended to drop the aerial, but I was listening to something fairly compelling on Radio 4 so intended to do it at the last moment and then at the last minute got distracted by lighting a cigarette. As the car wash went front to back it smashed the aerial into the car, snapping it so that it was held by only the nylon tooth thingy.

Worried that on the way back the brush was going to grab it and smash it around the car, I opened the window, grabbed the aerial and yanked it into the car, and then did the window back up which closed onto the nylon thingy and so now I was sure that it wouldn\'t be banging around on my paintwork. It only held the window open by about 4mm, so how wet can you get through a gap that size anyway ??

Let me tell you - very b***** wet is the answer !!!!!!!!!!

Car Washes and stupid people.. - Altea Ego
Sometimes, when you sit at work and think you are having a bad day, it comes to your notice that someone elses day is worse. Thank you for that small but priceless gift Mark.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Ian (Cape Town)
But I was minutes short from a very important
lunch meeting ...

so how wet can you get through a
gap that size anyway ??
Let me tell you - very b***** wet is the answer

I bet your luncheon guests saw the funny side!
I recall once going to a VERY important meeting, and en route was stuck under a tree, waiting for a light to change, when a large bird in the tree decided to do what birds do best.
Unfortunately for me, my hair, my interior, and my suit the sunroof was open.
I did not believe ostriches could fly, but by the volume of ordure, it is obviously they can!

Car Washes and stupid people.. - Dynamic Dave
Anyway, I need an new electric aerial for my car. Someone,
I think maybe DD, was talking about simply undoing the top
nut, letting it unravel out, buying a new one, inserting the
nylon track, and then watching it wind back in before doing
up the nut.

I have mentioned it previously, but AFAIA it only applies to Vauxhalls - or to be more precise, Carltons, Cavaliers, and Astras.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - andymc {P}
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Mark, I genuinely and truly wouldn't wish this on anyone. But ...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Yours in sobriety on a Thursday night - have a swift one on me mate.

andymc
Car Washes and stupid people.. - cockle {P}
Mark, if it makes you feel any better, we had a guy at work some years back who forgot to take his ladders off the ladder rack before going through the wash.....

There was a photo on the noticeboard in the yard for several years showing this Bedford HA van with its front wheels about 18 inches in the air and a brush mangled around the ladder on the roof. 'Ladders' never did live it down, I don't think anyone ever used his real name again.

Cockle
Car Washes and stupid people.. - smokie
...and a mate of mine went into a multi-storey forgetting about the two bikes upright on his roof rack. Costly.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - HF
M - sorry - but hahahahahahaha!!!!!! What about us plebs that don't even have retractable aerials though? Nor a skully to do the dirty work for us. Ahh how the other half live, eh? ;)))
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Hugo {P}
Sorry it's taken 2 days to reply to this one Mark but I've only just stopped laughing!!!!

I heard of a case where a couple were stuck inside a car wash for hours after it went wrong. Apparently it just kept washing and polishing the car time after time.

They rejected an offer of £50 for the inconvenience
28 quid inc. vat. for a new electric aerial tower with the toothy plastic bit from Curry Motors and fitted free (which took them about 2 minutes).
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Hugo {P}
28 quid inc. vat. for a new electric aerial tower with
the toothy plastic bit from Curry Motors and fitted free (which
took them about 2 minutes).

Glad to hear you didn't get cleaned out a second time then Mark??

Boom Boom!

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

****We never stop learning****

Hugo
Car Washes and stupid people.. - frostbite
Did you ever manage to improve that problem AM reception, Mark?
No, I never did.

I did manage to work out that its something to do with the second receiver used for the traffic monitoring on the Sat Nav, but I didn't get much further than that.

I worked out that I would probably have to separate both systems and have a separate aerial for the Sat Nav as well, and that just seemed like too much work and mess.

Mark.
Car Washes and stupid people.. - Miller
I had to laugh at an episode of the Simpsons when Homer watches his car being driven through a car wash, after the brushes have gone over his car a mechanical claw comes down and deliberately snaps off his aerial!

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!