Help with tick over problem.Renault Clio - Donny1801
... Hi, I've got a Renault Clio 1.4RT (1999) and I need some advice regarding a tickover problem.

When I turn the engine on it sits idle at about 1500rpm and so when I'm in gear will actually move without me pressing the throttle. Some people have said it is the tick over screw that needs adjusting and other have said its just the choke. Which do you reckon it is and is it easily adjustable by someone with little knowledge of engines?

Thanks!!!
Help with tick over problem... - Schnitzel
Well, it's far too new to have a choke, idle speed is usually dependant on the amout of air bypassing the closed throttle plate.

Make sure the throttle plate closes, may be worth manually moving it manually under the bonnet to check, or disconnecting the air trunking and looking. If it does indeed close, then move onto airleaks after the throttle that could be drawing air in, a badly adjusted or missing idle speed screw if present, and the idle air bypass valve, which is usually a valve fitted in parallel to the throttle to allow a small and controlled amount of air past the closed throttle to maintain a preset idle speed.

Listen all around the air intakes for a hissing sound which could signal a leak.

Good luck.
Help with tick over problem... - Donny1801
Cheers Schnitzel - very detailed info. I have to say I still wouldn't have a clue where to look but it's good to have a fair idea of the problem at least.

Thinking about it a leak does sound the most probable cause as there is a smell of oil from the bonnet which would signify that oil is leaking somewhere. If oil is leaking out then obviously air is leaking in! Plausable???