Best diesel...for £4.5k - Morris Ox
Question time, chaps and chapesses.

It's time to dispose of my Passat 20V, and I'm looking to replace it with a turbo-diesel of some sort.

Option 1 is my Dad's 99V Passat 110 TDi, which he's willing to let me have for £4.5k. Done under 40k, know its history etc.

Option 2 is something else that carries a family of four, is as good on economy, mechanically bullet-proof, and costs £4.5k.

So, two questions I'd appreciate some informed answers for.

1) Does anyone know the longer-term reliability record of these pre-PD VW turbo-diesels and whether there's anything in particular to look out for (i.e., those surprise big bills)

2) Suggestions for an alternative, meeting spec detailed in Option 2. Don't really want a car that's been to the moon and back.

Thanks for any responses.
Best diesel...for £4.5k - adverse camber
For that price I would take the passat, I have had two audi 110tdi's - just sold the one with 140K miles, the other with 110K is now daily transport for my wife. No engine problems at all. Do regular oil changes (I do oil & filter every 5K) and make sure the timing belt is done at 60K. A dealer not far from us is trying to sell an A4 110tdi with 234K miles on it for £2500.

Watch the pollen filter for water leaks on the passat and the suspension arms (think there is a recall, if not have a good look at them).
Best diesel...for £4.5k - cjehuk
We are selling our Passat TDI 110 (T-Plate) that's done 85K and that's still going perfectly, no problems at all. Pre PD (and post PD) TDIs go forever
Best diesel...for £4.5k - Sprice
4.5K will get you a decent PD engined Bora
Best diesel...for £4.5k - GrahamF1
I have that same Passat 110 on a V-plate.

Regularly get 65mpg on my motorway cruise to work. It's a really nice car, I've taken it from 90,000 to 121,000 so far.

Problems since I've had it:

1. Fried battery.
2. Burst water pipe.

Oh and the cambelt change (every 60,000) is quite pricey, just under £300 when I bought the parts myself and found an independent to do it, I believe its over £450 at a VW dealer.
Best diesel...for £4.5k - muckybob
On the cambelt subject, next time go to a SEAT dealer. Just had it done on my Passat 110TDI, (and including water pump) for £219. SEAT are part of the VW group, and use VW bits, and technicians are well trained.