Water leak on a ZX 19.td - PaulC2004
Bit of a strange of for you. The heating started going hot and cold a couple of weeks ago. Investigations proved it was a airlock created by a water leak. Filled it up and bled it out OK.

The other night I got back to my car and there was about half a cup full of coolent on the floor - near the drivers side front wheel. When I put the car up on ramps it is impossible to see where the leak is comind from, just apears to be from the L.H.S of the engine (as you look at it from the top).

Any ideas on diagnosis ? Its not lost a drip in the past few days but I think its just a matter of time..

Cheers

PS - Its not the heater matrix - been replaced
Its not the head gasket - Oil looks OK and normal ruinning temp is fine
Water leak on a ZX 19.td - bikemade3
Had a leak from what appears to be the same area 2 years ago on SWMBO ZX 1.9d. The lower rad hose that runs to the engine runs along the LHS as you look at the engine. This had chafed through a plastic ? plate. The hose had come loose after 2 securing clips had broken. Ended up having to replace the cylinder head gasket as well 2 weeks later.
Water leak on a ZX 19.td - RichardW
There are several pipes in that area - including the bottom hose, heater return and thermostat bypass. They all run to a plastic or alloy water pump intake housing bolted on the back of the block. Both the hoses and housing are known to spilt and give trouble when they age. Changing the bottom hose might not be too bad (although it will probably cost an arm and a leg!), but changing the housing is a right pain - you either struggle a lot, or remove the offside driveshaft and just struggle. Make sure you keep the water well topped up, as these engines soon overheat with low water and see off their headgaskets as bikemad found out.....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Water leak on a ZX 19.td - RichardW
Oh, it could also be the water pump - in which case water will drip out of the bottom of the timing belt cover - but possibly only when the engine is stopped.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Alas. Great advice as ever.
Thanks chaps. Think I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on the water level.. Any local Citroen owners (past or present) handy with a spanner in exchange for beer ?!

Cheers
Paul
Stockport, just in case ;-)