Car Alarm/Astra - Nick Shirley
Hello all, I have just read in the pper, 12 yr old vauxhall astra are 4x more likely to be stolen in the UK than ny other car, obviously this is because they are timeless classics!

Seriousy though, being the owner of one such vehicle, i think i might buy an alarm, i already have a steering lock, but can anybody recommend a decent alarm for as little cash as possible, and that i can easily fit myself, bearing in mind i am a poor student, and wan to fit it asap- also where can i buy it from?

Thanks!
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - Andrew Hamilton
Cheapest deterrent is a flashing red LED. Looks just as if car is alarmed. Maplins and others supply. It needs a series resistor if limit is usual 12V. I have it on the dashboard and use the current to charge up my rechargeable torch as well!
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - markymarkn
my beloved astra celebrates its 12th birthday this year!!!! noooooooo!!

I'll have to get 24hr security for the rest of the year!

lol

Mark
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - KB
Maybe it would be better if you bought a DISKLOK from Halfords or similar. They're £80, which is a lot for a steering wheel lock, but it covers the whole steering wheel and is VERY strong. (You'll need the 'Small' size on your car) I did a bit of research before getting mine and it seems the best. It's a very visible, effective deterrent. Plus, you can put it on your next car - that's not so easy with an alarm. A good alarm, fitted, is £250 - £300. Also, I agree with Andrew, Maplin Electronics do a flahing LED ready wired and ready to fit in to the dash for less than £2
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - ladas are cool
if you get an autolock (i think thats what its called) it only costs around £60, it covers the entire steering wheel, (plus i got one from ASDA, and it only cost me £39.95, the offer might still be on)
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - Paul Cassell
I agree with KB. I also have bought a Disklok, and it a very good, strong and highly visible deterent. Also far cheaper than an alarm. Get one of these Nick and also fit the flashing LED, for arguements sake, as at £2 you can't go wrong.
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - markymarkn
also to remember to take all the obvious security measures - dont leave stuff visible to someone looking in your car with a torch, dont leave books/cds/tapes etc lying around. If you have a stereo with a removable faceplate always remember to take it out. If a thief sees a messy car with stuff all over, they might want a look to see if theres anything of interest.

Sounds obvious, but a lot of people dont do it.

I think you can also buy 'fitted with an alarm' type stickers from halfords (and I imagine any other rip-off car accessory shop) to go with the flashing led. There the sort you'd normally stick on the two front windows.
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - Peter Mason
Nobody's mentioned the Autolok that fits over the gearstick and handbrake - they're about £18 I think. I've used one for years, they seem reliable, and the car certainly won't get far with the handbrake on and gear lever immobilised.
P.
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - Ian L
IMHO the autolok type of deterent is next to useless, I disturbed one attempted theft of a Mk 2 fiesta where the thief had simply bent the gear stick to remove the autolok from the handbrake...very odd to drive to the repair garage until they simply unbent the gear stick,

a later car was also a fiesta (Mk3) with a steering lock
(the bar type) and this didnt prevent the loss of the vehicle
after it was broken into with a cordless drill
Re: Car Alarm/Astra - KB
Hello Peter, I read the "roadtests" on this one and apparently they're really easy to overcome. As I said, I did a lot of research before getting DISKLOK. I read some stuff on a couple of websites about modified BMW's and tarted up GTI's, that the best way to secure those "nickable cars", is this one. The gear lever lock isn't Thatcham approved and not as obviously visible. See Auto Express test of security devices on their website. The gear lever lock is the best selling device in the country, however, so take your pick Nick.

Rgds, KB