Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Adam {P}
Hi all,
Dad came home in a E320 CDI yesterday and I can honestly say, I've never been in anything like it. I'm easily impressed and the automatic folding down headrests did nothing to contradict that but gadgets aside (and there were a lot), the engine impressed me most. Apart from not sounding like a diesel, the power was amazing. We took it back today down quite a quick road and were behind someone slow. Once then turned off, kickdown, power and it was absolutely amazing. Diesel and it was infinitely more powerful than the ST24 we had. I would have the car like a shot but not the estate version. As soon as I re-arranged my facial features after being propelled at Mach 10, I had another fiddle with the gadgets.

Now sat nav is good but I found the map feature the best. I presume all sat nav systems have this but seeing where you are, especially near side streets was actually quite impressive without having Gertrude say "Turn Left NOW"

Only downside, it was an auto but I wouldn't say no!

--
Adam
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Stuartli
A diesel? You don't say...:-)

My mate's last S-Class (now has an S-Class 500) was the 320 CDI. The performance figures over the petrol equivalent were 0.6 seconds slower for the 0-60mph sprint and a whisker in the case of top speeds. Fuel consumption was about 35-38mpg against the petrol version's 25-27mpg on a run.

Point it at the horizon, put your right foot down and the big Merc took off like a scalded cat.
Oi - clear off! Just because you helped me with the insurance, doesn't maean you can take the mick :-)

Yes - it was certainly quick though....very quick.
--
Adam
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Imagos
One of my fav's (see my {P}) but didn't you find fuel guage difficult to read? especially when it gets low. I find I have to use it in conjunction with 'miles 'till empty' on trip computer.

But that's my only criticism...
The trip computer was more handy but the fuel gauge was just a series of bars. Given then it read more than half this morning, we never had to worry about it but I think the temperature gauge was more difficult!

Also, I think it's the main beam lamp (the inside of the 2 headlights) had melted when some water had gotten into it. Mercedes build quality?
--
Adam
Spot on HJ.

"You simply cannot believe that this car is pulled along by a diesel engine and, once you’ve driven it, you may never want to go back to a petrol engine ever again."

Couldn't have put it better - fantastic car.
--
Adam
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - patently
Are we talking about the same E320CDi here that I test drove?

The one that you could tell was a diesel every time you buried the pedal and thought "today please......" while it worked out that you wanted to speed up?

Or is that a Merc trade mark rather than just a diesel one?

WEll you must have driven one of those fake 320's ;-)

This one I can most certainly assure you only gave away it's fuel type by smell. The acceleration, to be quite honest was nothing short of phenomenal when you think it is comfier than an armchair and powered by the same fuel as your local Stagecoage Bus.

My Dad floored it up this road and my god - that equals any petrol car I've been in and exceeds 99% of them. Granted, torque came into play a bit as we were already doing about 40 but I was nothing short of astounded.

I realise I sound like a Merc dealer here but I was always a fan of BM's over Mercedes'.

Not any more.
--
Adam
I realise I sound like a Merc dealer here but I
was always a fan of BM's over Mercedes'.
Not any more.
--

You're right Adam, the car is sensational,, take no notice of the critics.. in the real world this is the finest saloon you can buy.
Fair enough - glad you liked it. Looks fantastic - especially in black.

I preferred others, though.
Sorry Patently - I didn't mean to shoot you down in mid opinion. Lovely car but then again, if I had a 911, I'd be saying it about that as well!

Imagos is one lucky guy to get to drive that every day though.
--
Adam
Sorry Patently - I didn't mean to shoot you down in
mid opinion. Lovely car but then again, if I had a
911, I'd be saying it about that as well!

No worries, Adam. But I thought that about the E320CDi when comparing it to a 530d auto, and (initially) ordered one in preference to the E.

And the E-class does beat the 911 hands down on boot space :-)

If I was given Hobson's choice of an E320CDi, I'd still smile every morning when I set off. But I'm lucky enough to have discvered that I could be made to smile more broadly!
Lol - I'd love to be in that situation too but let's be honest - does the 911 have an automatic retracting parcel shelf?

That is worth the many thousands of pounds to me ;-)
--
Adam
Mine does, but only if you are in the habit of leaving parcels on the roof.
Show off ;-)
--
Adam
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Big Cat
Adam

Just speak nicely to Dad and he may let you borrow it...
27 grand? BARGAIN!

This one was an Avantgarde I think - it had leather in anyway.

BC, no such luck. It's gone back today. I'm hoping I'll be writing in an S Class thread this time next week.

Fingers crossed.
--
Adam
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - MichaelR
My father is looking at getting a 2000 S320 CDI - I hope it's as good as the E Class version seems to be from all the replies here :)
Yes, it is. The S class is widely regarded as superb, and the 320CDi is the pick of the range.
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Stuartli
I drove the S-Class 320 CDI I mentioned earlier some 497 miles one day, made the return journey two days later and was as fresh as a daisy (well almost) at the end of each trip.

To my mind the S-Class is the best car of its type in the world - you can keep your Rollers etc...:-)

One of its greatest assets is that it never feels as big inside as it looks from outside; its handling and ride belie its bulk, it caters for any size and shape of driver and the occupants are cacooned in luxury and serenaded by a superb sound system.

Even the built-in phone system is absolutely amazing with crystal clear reception thanks to using that very same sound system's multitude of speakers.
Merc 320 CDI - It's a diesel??? - Marcos{P}
I currently have a W211 E320 CDi that pumps out 240bhp and 500Nm of torque. 0-62.5 mph: 7.7 secs Maximum speed : 151 mph. Not bad for a diesel and I can assure you with that amount of torque it feels faster. I have taken the car on acouple of track days now and everyone gets the right hump when they find out the big merc that shot past them was a diesel lol
Imagos is one lucky guy to get to drive that every
day though.
--

Not every day, probably an E class once a week although did drive one briefly today, I rate the car so highly it would probably be at top of shopping list if I could afford it.. Never driven a 911 or indeed any Porsche though :-(