Hmmm. An A Class? - Citroënian {P}
Does anyone have any experiences good/bad or (sensible) opinions on the Mercedes Benz A-Class?

I've been kicking around the idea of a new/ish car for a bit and have a slight problem in that I've got a small garage with an odd approach - can't get the Clio in, for example.

I borrowed an A-Class 160Cdi Avantgarde from the local dealer today to weigh it up and see if it would fit in. Thankfully, it does go although the LWB version probably wouldn't.

The car I had was fully loaded and had, I think auto transmission (you could push it left/right and select 1,2,3,4 or D). This combined with cruise control on such a little car made it excellent to drive on both motorways and A roads. The ride was a bit choppy, but nothing compared to the run flat tyre juddering experience on our other car.

Room inside is amazing and you get a high position to see over things without everyone hating you for driving a 4x4.

My main dilemna is whether to get a newish one - good deals from dealers as they're bringing out a new model in the Autumn, or whether to get an older one from a car supermarket or buy a bargain one for £6k from somewhere and cross my fingers.

Or just keep the Clio until it gives up the ghost - after all, it's practically free motoring with it - it's old (K plate) but does the job well enough if in a slightly knackered looking way.

Any advice much appreciated as ever!

(I've checked the Car by car breakdown of course)
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Hmmm. An A Class? - Happy Blue!
Lee

Have a look at a thread of mine from about six weeks ago. It may be of some help, especially from those Backroomers who think it unreliable. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it up soon.

Having said that, I totally agree with your comments having rented one for a couple of months from EasyCar. My only complaints were a slightly fragile interior and hard ride over some types of road imperfection. Otherwise very roomy, economical and great view of the road. I would only go for the LWB model though as the ride is far better and it has acres of room. If that is too big - how about a Honda Jazz or Hyundai Getz, both likely to be more reliable, far cheaper to run and with acres of space as well.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Try this...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23097

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ah, thanks for that. I even posted early in that thread (and looked a bit stroppy too! Apologies).

I guess the next stop is a Honda dealership although it's not as appealing. Wondering if I'm a bit of a badge snob - but then I'd be happy enough in a Fabia so that's not it.

Thanks again
--
Lee
Hmmm. An A Class? - Ben {P}
I'm still trying to sell one for a friend- 01Y A160 Elegance Auto, with 29k histroy, one previous owner (ie two in total), bought from a main dealer as part of their approved used scheme. The car is in Ocean Blue and good condidition- asking 6995 ONO. E-mail me if you are at all intersted i have many pictures of the vehicle i may e-mail you.
Hmmm. An A Class? - GIM
Very very worst thing about right hand drive 'A' class Mercedes is that they only use a left hand drive steering rack. Cars destined for the right hand drive countries have a ludicrous
mess-up with universal joints trying to get the steering column to the other side of the car. Result.... woolly steering and £200-300 bills to replace bits frequently.
Hmmm. An A Class? - GIM
Look at this site: www.carsurvey.org/
Hmmm. An A Class? - Stuartli
The A-Class has certainly enhanced Mercedes' luxury limo reputation to even more elevated levels...:-)

Seen several of these lately - stunning and eyecatching body design, especially from the front:

www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/altea/site/main.html
That carsurvey.org website looks excellent, will have a trawl around it later.

And Stuart, I've been getting stuff on the Altea from Seat since long before the launch. Sat in one at the Motorshow and it wasn't terribly exciting. I fear it'll be too long for our "compact" garage too. Thanks anyway

--
Lee
Hmmm. An A Class? - carl_a
I can't remember what paper it was but they compared a City Rover to an A class and the City Rover won, so I can't be good !
Hmmm. An A Class? - Stuartli
But Car magazine or something similar matched the City Rover with a Fiat Punto and, although the Rover was commended for space etc the Punto won by quite some margin.

It was described as a modern, cleverly conceived supermini that put Fiat firmly back amongst one of the most creative designers of such models.
Actually a Fiat Panda won the test against the CityRover but there is also the choice of the Idea.

I was in a Hyundai dealers today looking at the Trajet Diesel Auto (a much more impressive drive than I expected - and for the 04 model year, lots of features as standard) and looked at the Getz.

My only (and I mean only) complaint about this car was the lack of height adjustment on the steering wheel - it was set too high. Well that has been fixed and it is now a superb value for money vehicle, with loads of space, great warranty and a reasonable drive. OK its not as good as a Jazz or Micra, but given the price, its very impressive and I could live with one for a while.
--
Hmmm. An A Class? - Avant
As I mentioned on Espada III's thread in June, we came near to getting an A-class for SWMBO but eventually went for a Civic type S. I hired an A-class from Easycar in Scotland and liked the high driving position, comfort and general feeling of well-being, but despite being an A160 it was an auto and fairly sluggish.

Incidentally Easycar say they are going over to Vauxhall Merivas so they will probably lose customers, certainly me (oops, sorry Dynamic Dave!).

Lee - if your Clio won't fit in your garage you are fairly restricted. Presumably a Jazz wouldn't fit either. Why not go for the A-class - plenty to enjoy, and the SWB version really is shorter than a Ford Ka - but avoid one that's been a hire car! I'd suggest a manual A160 or A170 CDI.

The new 2005 A-class sounds a huge improvement, and there will be a 2-litre diesel.

Espada - I hope you'll keep us posted. If you go for the Trajet it'll be interesting to know which car goes in its favour.
Well Avant, I think the Volvo is going. It has a couple of niggly faults and I have lost a bit of confidence in the car. The CRV is so good and likely to be far more reliable. My only problem is a slightly awkward driving position, but I'll cope for a year and trade it in for Hyundai Tucson or see if I can afford something else bigger but with a diesel auto.
--
Hmmm. An A Class? - HectorG
Espada

I have a CR-V and also find it less than perfect regarding the driving/seating position - maybe something to do with lack of telescopic steering wheel adjustment. However, after 6 months it is bothering me less than it did. Otherwise very difficult to fault, and I have averaged 30.5 mpg in 11,000 miles which is very good.

I know this is off-topic, but I would ideally like something like the CR-V with a diesel for more torque - which is distinctly lacking in the Honda - and automatic transmission.
Do you know of anything that fits the bill? Is the Tucson available as an auto? Have you tried a Tucson - you seem keen on Hyundais?

HectorG
Hmmm. An A Class? - Malcolm_L
Honda's 2.2 diesel is going in the CR-V.
I was speaking to a Corporate sales person in Honda on Friday and the subject turned to their diesel, seems like the engine is well received and will be offered as on option on the CR-V.
Hmmm. An A Class? - Altea Ego
Well I had an offroad drive at the motorshow in a Kia Sorrento, the 2.5 diesel auto. I was impressed, and the test driver was also hugely impressed. give it a look.
Did the same test drive as RF - I'd second his advice.
--
Lee
Hector

I have not driven the Tucson, but had a good crawl all over one the other day. They do an auto in the diesel and 2.7V6. It is very well specced, and is lower thanthe CRV althoughigher than the Forester, neither of which come with diesels (yet) nor will they have diesel autos.

I am about to order the diesel auto Trajet, having found a dealer who is £650 less than the first one I went to.

--
Avant, Thanks for the advice - the Clio doesn't fit as there's an awkward angle getting in and it would rip off the catalytic converter to drive it in - the SWB A-class fitted nicely.

I'm coming around to the A160 / A170 but really liked the auto box. In the A160CDi I had it was undeniably sluggish but got to 90 (I should imagine) on the motorway and seemed happy enough once there.

You neatly sum up why I liked the A class in the first sentence.

As things stand, I could easily wait a year to get one and with the new version (it's wider and longer, unfortunately my garage won't be) coming along, the oldies should end up going for the price of a bag of chips.

And Espada III, I didn't really understand your name and signature until I though about it and looked it up. Now that's some car - even found a "estate" version of it. Any car that's cool enough for Nicholas Cage (looks like he's got 2), is a Lamborghini and can carry a family....Well, I don't know what else people would be buying these days ;-)
--
Lee
Lee

I started reading Car magazine at eight years old (almost 32 years ago and during at time when there were no rude words to protect your child from; unlike today). I grew up liking Ferraris but loving Lambos. A real 'stick that in your pipe and smoke it' car.
--
Hmmm. An A Class? - J Bonington Jagworth
I take it you've looked here?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

HJ points out the steering column problem, too. It looks like the RHD conversion was a bit half-hearted...
Quote=Me(I've checked the Car by car breakdown of course)

Yes, thanks anyway
--
Lee
Hmmm. An A Class? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I've checked the Car by car breakdown"

Ah, so you have. Just testing... :-)