repaired tear in tyre sidewall - CM
I recently had an insurance job done on the car and it seems that a small tear in the sidewall has been repaired (seems to have been glued back - not sure whether it was me or the accident). I presume that this is safe as the repairers would have been more than happy to supply a new tyre, but any thoughts welcomed.
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - JamZ
I must admit, I thought it was illegal to carry out any repairs to a tyre's side wall...
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - volvoman
Hi C - don't like the sound of that, possibly a scam?? Charge the insurance company for a new tyre but repair the old one?? Last year I sadly ruined 2 virtually brand new tyres through side wall damage (not at the same time I should add). Everyone I spoke to at the time told me I'd need to get the tyres replaced. Bit of a bummer but there we are. Obviously don't know the details of who did the repair or what the damage was but it might be worth contacting them to clarify what's been done
sooner rather than later. Also check with your insurers.

Regards from us all.
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - SjB {P}
British Standard AU 159f: 1997 states that sidewalls must never be repaired. Using Google to search for the bold text in the previous sentence returns a number of matches that confirm this.

This is what I could find, but it is a little vague!

REPAIRS.

Tyres can sometimes be repaired, but care has to be taken, firstly the standard for tyre repair in the U.K is British Standard BS AU 159F. This standard lays down in great detail the way tyres should be repaired, the amount and type of damage that can be repaired. As you can imagine the standard is very detailed and as the purpose of this article is to give you some tips on tyre care, so I will sum up the main points you need to be aware of.

1. Some high speed rated tyres cannot be repaired at all. This generally applies to tyres with a speed rating higher than H (130 MPH). This is because tests have is because tests have shown that repair materials will not work in these highly stressed tyres. {MINE ARE RATED HIGHER AT W}

2. All penetrations should be plugged to prevent the ingress of moisture into the tyre structure.

3. Tyres should not be repaired with sealants. On this latter point it is my personal opinion that sealants of both the prior and post puncture type are nothing short of dangerous, and you are much safer pushing your bike home than using them.

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - SjB {P}
text.islington.gov.uk/services/services.asp?Sectio...8
Search for 'sidewall' within the page.
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Stuartli
It has always been my understanding that damage to tyre sidewalls cannot be repaired for reasons that seem to me, at least, pretty clear and obvious.

Yet there is always an exception to the rule if this link, at least, is to be believed:

www.tyres-online.co.uk/discus/messages/2/149.html?...m
repaired tear in tyre sidewall [+ Luton] - Roger Jones
I was waiting in the reception area of a local tyre shop last week and reading their posters. I think it was the Michelin poster that said never repair a sidewall -- yes, never. It also confirmed what's on the Michelin website: always -- yes, always -- fit the newest tyres on the rear wheels.

For anyone around Luton, this place is the only one I have found locally with laser wheel-alignment kit:

Chiltern Tyre & Exhausts Ltd
Unit 7
Walter Lawrence Estate
Brewers Hill Road
Dunstable
LU6 1BD

Tel. 01582 609600
Fax 01582 609300

Service was friendly and efficient; prices were very reasonable.
repaired tear in tyre sidewall [+ Luton] - CM
Thanks to all (otherwise no action would have been taken on my part).

I talked to the repairers and they could not understand what has happened. Apparently the tyre was down to be replaced (Volvoman - you may be right)!! They are coming over tomorrow to sort out!

When I quoted the BS AU159f he was a bit surprised...
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - patently
The tyre is the most important safety-related item in the car. The difference in cost between a repair and a replacement will never be enough to tempt me. Even if it is "allowed".

And as for the insurance work, I'd go straight back and say I was entitled to have the car put back in the state it was. That state included an intact tyre with no repairs. New tyre please. If they refused, I'd ask for a binding acceptance of liability for all damages flowing from an accident in the event that the tyre repair failed.
patently - agree with you 100%

also when it comes to lowish tread. i always change sooner rather than later as you in fact are only saving a few pounds per tyre for those extra few hundred miles. As you say, its not worth it.
repaired tear in tyre sidewall - jackyboy

The puncture (in the treaded area of the tyre circumference) is deflating enough. I speak as a disgusted motorist with a tyre in such a condition, only three thousand miles old, and at £180 each tyre, as against £15 for a repair, (there's the profit).

You find a tyre supplier that carries out plug & patch repairs (ie Kwik fit, ATS), and then you meet the so called expert at the shop who deflates you further with the line "can't fix that, you need a new tyre". According to BS AU 159f :1997 to which they allegedly work the tyre is actually repairable ,and the repair is classified as Major. I was an Aircraft Technician for 30 years, regularly dealing with tyre damage examination and assessment etc. In pre-history I attended a course at Fort Dunlop into tyre construction and repair. I'm not an expert, but I feel I can claim some level of expertise.

When pushed, ATS and Kwik Fit stated they only repair MINOR punctures (in the central 70% of the tyre tread area, area T as defined in the British Standard.

Damage outside this central area is in zone W, and IS REPAIRABLE in accordance with the same British Standard. The statement they make "that can't be repaired" is intentionally misleading, and costs the customer a new tyre, (far more profitable), whereas if they said "it is repairable but we don't have the expertise and can't repair it", the customer could possibly go elsewhere, probably also buying a replacement tyre elsewhere (*for less dosh). This customer certainly did (the purchase was necessary as I'm now a chauffeur, and have to have a spare.)

How many people, especially ladies (no sexism intended here) just accept the notion that it can't be repaired?

A positive decision has been taken at board level in these tyre suppliers to rob the motoring public of their hard earned cash, by not carrying out repairs approved by the British Standards Institute. How does it go? "you can't get better than a Kwik fit fitter!" Baloney.

Maybe it's time for the Board of Trade, the AA and the RAC to investigate this rip off, as that is what it is, and is just as damaging as back street garages ripping customers off.

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Bromptonaut

There is another interpretation.

A major repair, as defined by BSI, is not cost effective in terms of equipment, training and cost to the user. I suspect there are also risks not present with a simple mushroom repair*. Tyres for your average saloon are around £60-£70 fitted (165/70 *14 for my Berlingo). I wouldn't take the risk of a £30 repair v £70 for a new tyre. Maybe dofeerent for a car with £180/corner tyres but thats not average Joe with Astra/Focus territory.

Aircraft tyres are a different proposition in terms of cost and pilots are trained to deal with the odd blow out.

*Having watched one of those done (tyre off, nail found & removed, hole bored and inner prepared/vulcanised, plug fitted, reinflate and refit) £15 looks like a bargain.

EDIT - I'm repeating what's been said already)

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/10/2014 at 10:50

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Brit_in_Germany

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - John F

Jackyboy's post is a superb expert opinion about expensive unnecessary advice proffered dogmatically by those with a vested interest in it - a subject close to my heart. I would not have thought a tiny glued-up non-penetrative tear in the sidewall should cause much concern. If you think it is serious, pump it up to the maximum indicated on the sidewall [usually around 50psi] and drive down a bumpy potholed road to see if it blows.

Car tyres are pretty unstressed and last a long time [ >20yrs on my annually MoT'd TR7 - and they were still adequately servicable when I changed them]. They rarely run at more than a mere 40psi whereas aircraft's apparently go up to 200psi. Even my ancient thin scarred bike tyres are usually around 80psi.

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Bolt

Car tyres are pretty unstressed and last a long time

I wouldnt call approx 250kg on a tyre unstressed especially the sidewalls,also when driving the stresses are a lot worse,thats why I dont get punctures fixed/repaired I replace the tyre

tyres also perish after a long time so I wouldnt trust tyre after 8/10 years you dont know whats going on inside that sidewall/tread

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Ordovices

you dont know whats going on inside that sidewall/tread

But you could say exactly the same after having a tyre fitted and driving 400m down the road and going over a speed bump.

you dont know whats going on inside that sidewall/tread

But you could say exactly the same after having a tyre fitted and driving 400m down the road and going over a speed bump.

Its not so much the speed bumps that cause the damage to tyres, its the our really deep/wide potholes,they crease the rubber rather than bend which is what causes the tyre to fail usually the sidewall

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Ethan Edwards

It may be completely safe it's just that having had (one Brown Trouser moment) some thirty five years ago in a Ford Corsair a front wheel blowout at 30mph and the resultant lack of control. There's no way I want this to happen to me again at 70mph when I may die as a result.

For the sake of saving £90 quid or so? TBH I'm worth more than that. So I don't even run a tyre if it has had a legitimate legal repair...it's either relegated to a get you home spare or exchanged for a new one. Yes I know thats a bit OTT but there you are.

Incidentally the Police..I believe if they get a puncture or damage even only the one tyre..they change all five. Money (ours) is no object...thats overkill on a grand scale.

PS respects to the Time Lords who travelled back into the mists of time to resurrect this thread. I look forward / back (whatever) to finding out how the Falkands war goes on another thread....Pesky Argies...!

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 10/10/2014 at 18:21

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Hamsafar

There is no legal requirement to conform to BS AU 159f :1997 when repairing a tyre any more than a cafe needs to conform to BS 6008:1980 when making a pot of tea.

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - Avant

Of course they want to sell you a new tyre and make money / meet sales targets. But there's another consideration: in this litigious age they could be sued if someone has a subsequent blowout on a repaired tyre. It may have been nothing to do with the repair, but they won't want the bad publicirty and the hassle of defending a case.

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - skidpan

The car we acquired last weekend is a genuine one owner car, 7 years old with 21,000 miles on it. Serviced every 12 months and as good inside and out as you would epect to find a 2 year old and not a 7 year old car.

When we got it I knew it needed new tyres. The ones on it are all original and since they have been regularly rotated front to rear all have worn approx the same and have about 4mm tread left. The manufacture code is 2006 thus were a year old before they were even fitted. Although they are still well legal they are cracking between the tread blocks and there is no way I will be risking my kneck (and that of other road users) with tyres that are clearly deteriorating. For the price of a set of tyres it would be criminal to carry on with those on the car knowing they have deteriorated.

By some strange cooincidnce we parked next to a 02 plate Merc A-Class at the weekend. You didn't need a magnifying glass to spot that on all 4 tyres in the area where the tread ends and the sidewall starts there were huge cracks, you could see the reinforcement at the bottom, at first glance they looked like tread blocks. Only looked at one tyre close up, made 2002 so probably a very low mileage car on its original tyres. If it passes an MOT the garage needs closing down, how it past the last one god knows, tyres don't crack overnight.

Edited by skidpan on 13/10/2014 at 12:12

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - quizman

Were they Continental tyres on your new car? I ask because I've had 3 sets of Contis and all of them have have cracked in between the tread.

I got money back on the first 2 sets from Continental, but the latest set are on my Golf and one had a blow out recently. The inside sidewall blew, so I ordered a set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and had them fitted at ATS.

The "service" I received at ATS was appalling. It took over 2 hours to fit the 4 tyres and then I noticed one was different from the other 3. The manager told me this would be OK but I refused to take the tyre; I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 4 tyres the same when you have ordered them. The spacesaver was put back on and another tyre ordered, but I was told this would be awkward because they would have to order 4! I told them that this was not my concern.

Three days later I went to collect the new tyre at an aggreed time. I waited over an hour before getting cross, then they finally condicended to fit the wheel and balance one of the others which had 9 weights on. When reballanced it had two.

So at ATS they try to sell you an odd set of tyres, take over 3 hours to fit them and not one word of apology. I will not be going back there.

Edited by quizman on 13/10/2014 at 16:15

repaired tear in tyre sidewall - skidpan

Were they Continental tyres on your new car?

No they were Dunlops. At 8 years old no one is going to warranty them, not wasting my time even trying.

However, I had a set of Micheins crack all over the sidewalls. They were 5 years old and still had decent tread since they were only used in the summer. Spoke to Michelin who said to take them to ATS for return and testing. After waiting a few weeks got a cheque for £195. Great service.

On my trip to the supermarket today, I looked around at tyres,on the way to entrance, and was surprised at how many cars had either split, near limit,or close to bald tyres

Some on expensive cars as well!