Passat main beam bulb change - easy? - Halmer
I noticed on the way home that one of my front main beam lights has packed up (2002 model). The manual tells me that it's dead hard to do myself and I should let a dealer do it.

Has anyone changed one and is it easy/difficult?
Passat main beam bulb change - easy? - fossyant
If you can get at the bulb socket on the rear of the headlamp then fine - easy job. If not, you might have to do some drastic stuff like remove a whole bumper (a colleague had to do this to change his on a honda) !
Passat main beam bulb change - easy? - BB
Easy if it is a standard headlight bulb.
Just remove the rubber grommet, remove the spring clips and replace bulb.

(It was on my 98 Passat)

If it is not a standard headlight bulb (xenon), then the whole light has to be taken out (which i believe is not a difficult job.)
Passat main beam bulb change - easy? - Malcolm_L
It's not difficult just very awkward, if it's the o/s bulb the airfilter box will have to be removed unless you have double joints and small fingers.

When my o/s went I swapped out both with Phillips which do give a more well define cut-off and are definitely brighter.
Passat main beam bulb change - easy? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've only had my dipped beams fail but as the bulbs are the same the procedure should be the same. The access is a problem and either the aircleaner cover or radiator header tank cover need removing to get access. The holder for H7 bulbs is a bayonet twist out design and not a spring clip type as per the older H4 bulb. Take the holder and bulb out together then remove bulb. Having small hands would be a help -I could barely grasp the bulb holder with my size 12s. Local store did anonymous brand replacements at £5.95.They look fine.