Big up Andrew Moorey !! - Matt Kelly
Sorry to lapse into Max Power speak but the result of my earlier thread entitled VW Golf Hassles is not a blown head gasket but a broken oil cooler. Mr Moorey of Tune Up Ltd. was the only one to suggest such a possibility and therefore deserves a round of applause.

£220 to repair is the quote so I'll be keeping it a while yet !
Volkswagens - Marcus
Hey !

thats good news, I had the head gasket fail on two VWs, a 1600 Jetta and an 1800 Passat - essentially the same engine as yours- both around 150 000 miles, but the cost to have the head skimmed and to replace the gasket didn't amount to much more than £200 on either car, so it's not the end of the world. Although on an earlier passat I had the cambelt snap - that ruined the engine and the car had to be scrapped. So If I were you I would ensure that you have a new cambelt fitted whilst your car is in dock anyway.

Best Regards

Marcus
Re: Volkswagens - Matt Kelly
I might see about getting the head refurbished some time in the new year - just as a means of getting a few more miles out of the car.

Cambelt gets changed in accordance with the service schedule anyway. I learnt the importance of that on my '87 Fiat Panda - the belt went in the outside lane of the A2 going up hill. The engine was OK afterwards though but I was surprised because everyone I spoke to about it was doom & gloom. Shame the thing wouldn't start in the wet !
Re: Volkswagens - Andy Bairsto
You where very lucky as running without an oil pump even for a short time is I think not to be recomended
Re: Big up Andrew Moorey !! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Aw shucks, twernt nuthin, just that we Tune-Up boys fell into the same trap a while ago!
Re: Big up Andrew Moorey !! - David Woollard
Yes well done Andrew. This is an experience we can all file away for future use and adds to our skills base.

David