Tree sap removal - possible? - RobertJS
Has anyone found a good way to remove tree sap? I gave the car a serious going over at the weekend but never seem to be able to get the stuff off clean. AutoGlym 'intensive tar remover' is great for tar but doesn't seem to have any effect on the sap drops.

thanks,
Robert.
Tree sap removal - possible? - Malcolm_L
Hot water soapy water - emphasis on the hot

Tree sap removal - possible? - bartycrouch
The best way is hot water and car shampoo - it is not normally tree sap but aphid excreta. The aphids exude a sugary substance that attracts ants who milk the aphid and protect them from predators. You can blast the aphids off the leaves with a jet of water.

Tree sap removal - possible? - matt35 {P}
Robert,
Try 3M Imperial Handglaze.
Matt35
Tree sap removal - possible? - googolplex
Last year I cleaned and waxed my car prior to going on hol. On the way we stopped over night and I parked under this tree which deposited its sap as they do. Then proceeded to the campsite where all manner of dust and leaves and bits got stuck on the car. Within 24hours, my clean waxed car looked as though its owner took no care of it whatsoever!
I eventually had to yield and stick it through the carwash - only time I've ever done it - because I had no bucket, sponge & soap with me. Dreadful stuff. Interestingly the carwash was not 100% effective and, when I got back, I had to do the hot soapy water treatment and that did work. Its hard graft I'm afraid.
Splodgeface
Tree sap removal - possible? - Blue {P}
Try a Quik Clay Detailing kit from Meguiars. www.meguiars.co.uk

I used one on my last car and it removed *everything* including paint overspray and tree sap spots which even AutoGlym Super Resin couldn't shift.

Once I'd finished the paint was perfectly clean, then I polished and Extra Glossed the car and it stayed looking fantastic.

Blue
Tree sap removal - possible? - RobertJS
Thanks all for the suggestions. Meguiars stuff looks well worth a shot, I'll look out for it. Unfortunately our company car park is surrounded with very tall trees so the battle is never over!

Cheers

Tree sap removal - possible? - corax
Try a Quik Clay Detailing kit from Meguiars. www.meguiars.co.uk I used one on my last car and it removed *everything* including paint overspray and tree sap spots which even AutoGlym Super Resin couldn't shift. Once I'd finished the paint was perfectly clean, then I polished and Extra Glossed the car and it stayed looking fantastic. Blue

I agree with this. I use a very fine Sonus clay but it still removes everything without removing previous sealant. Especially good on tar spots. Brilliant product. If you use one make sure you have a trigger spray bottle filled a lubricant. I just use water with a dab of car shampoo. You must keep the panel wet to stop the clay sticking.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html

Edited by corax on 05/08/2012 at 14:03

Tree sap removal - possible? - teebar

I used a battery operated toothbrush and a big dollop of Mer car polish. I think the Mer is petroleum based which softens up the sap and the motion of the toothbrush gradually wears it away. It takes a while, perhaps 20 mins but it does work and leaves no trace that the sap was ever there. The paint work appears to by unharmed. You're probably best to keep the brush moving over the spot and keep a good supply of the wet polish there.