Driving with no rear plate. - Dave
Did 600 miles this weekend with the rear plate on my parcel shelf under a road Atlas.

No problems at all.

Went past several Rozzers including one speed trap and got no interest.

It's back on now but I would suggest for the 'one off' long distance high risk drive this is the ideal Camera risk avoidance strategy.

(And no, I didn't deliberately speed - jsut using plate removal as belt and braces...)
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - fecker
Good work. Outstanding.
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - Andrew Hamilton
But were the police actually awake? When I do see police cars stationery they often appear to be asleep with papers in front as if they are working.
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - Darcy Kitchin
Obviously suffering from sleepless nights due to persecution of poor motorists and needing some time to catch up ...
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - Rubberduck
I think I can remember a movie, possibly it was a James Bond, with a remote controlled revolving number plate, shouldn't be too hard to make. I remember someone I knew picked up a brand-new car some years back drove it home only to discover later the number was slightly different on the front than on the back with some numbers transposed exactly as fitted by the main dealer, that could easily have gone unnoticed for months. Do anyone ever check their number plates?
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - Dave
Rubberduck wrote:
>
> I think I can remember a movie, possibly it was a James Bond,
> with a remote controlled revolving number plate, shouldn't be
> too hard to make. I remember someone I knew picked up a
> brand-new car some years back drove it home only to discover
> later the number was slightly different on the front than on
> the back with some numbers transposed exactly as fitted by
> the main dealer, that could easily have gone unnoticed for
> months. Do anyone ever check their number plates?

I agree, but a false plate carries a prison snetence whereas no plate at all carries a 20 poind fine and no endorsment. PLus if it's on your parcel shelf you might blag it!
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
>
> But were the police actually awake?

Apparently not!

...But my weekend exploits do suggest that you could get away with it for extended periods of time!
Re: Driving with no rear plate. - Colin M
I heard that the obstructing your number plate thing was just a low fine/no points. How about a blanket hanging out of the boot to cover my camera shy yellow plastic friend?

C
Colin M wrote:
>
> I heard that the obstructing your number plate thing was just
> a low fine/no points. How about a blanket hanging out of the
> boot to cover my camera shy yellow plastic friend?

20 pound fine no endorsments.

If you are *caught* multiple times the police can ask the DVLA to take your plate off yuo and you have to re-register. (IIRC with a Q plate?)

Let's face it you aint gonna get booked for a blanket out of the rear... You can tuck it into the boot before the officer can even get his pen out.

If you've got 20 quid to spare your plan has no drawbacks.

I wish I could find a good source of summer mud.
Driving with no rear plate - David Lacey
We've seen two or three cases of wrong number plates front and rear before. Usually a dealer mistake, transposing one or two numbers.
Re: Driving with no rear plate - Dave
David Lacey wrote:
>
> We've seen two or three cases of wrong number plates front
> and rear before. Usually a dealer mistake, transposing one or
> two numbers.

Wow, Two years in prison for a dealer mistake! Usually they just wreck your car not your life.

[Disclaimer: This cynicism doe snot include all dealers who frequent this site with useful info. They are clearly competent, nay, talented, vehicle engineers]