Peugeot 307 2l hdi 2004 - Fuel gauge not registering refils - Vinnie

Hi all,

This car has a diesel engine.

A week ago I inadvertantly put 1 litre of petrol into my diesel tank. I spotted it straight away and filled the tank with diesel.With such a low dilution of about 50:1 it hasn't appeared to have done any damage and it runs just fine.

However, and I expect this is just a coincidence, the fuel gauge is playing up.

After completely refilling after the petrol went in, the gauge read just under full when it usually points to just over full.

After abot 60 miles I refilled again to maximise the dilution and the gauge didn't increase !

After another 60 mile the fuel level was reading lower as you expect, but the next refill again didn't increase on the gauge.

What is going on? The gauge correctly shows fuel use but not the refilling.

Has anyone any ideas please. Is this an electrical glitch that a system reset would correct?

Hope you can help.

Cheers, Vinnie.

Peugeot 307 2l hdi 2004 - Fuel gauge not registering refils - RT

A number of cars don't recognise a refuelling unless more than 10 litres is put in - I've noticed this on courtesy cars when putting in as much as I think I've used.

Hi,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Unfortunately this is not the case with this car, it always shows suite small refils.

I wish it were that simple!!

Thank you for your interest however.

Best wishes, Vinnie

Peugeot 307 2l hdi 2004 - Fuel gauge not registering refils - Peter.N.

First thing I would try would be a BSI reset.

Peugeot 307 2l hdi 2004 - Fuel gauge not registering refils - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you driven over something and damaged the tank?These have a plastic tank and any deformation here will cause an inaccurate reading of the gauge.

Peugeot 307 2l hdi 2004 - Fuel gauge not registering refils - Andrew-T

I don't think this matters much, as long as the gauge reads correctly when approaching empty !

Not sure what type the tank sender is, but the 205 used a vertical cylinder containing a float. SWMBO managed to run out of diesel - despite thinking that the car was running very economically - because some fine grit got inside that cylinder. Just a suggestion ...

Hi all,

Great news! I filled up with diesel on Wednesday with the intention of doing a BSI reset when home. Didn't need to - the fault cleared itself whatever it was, and the gauge read full !!

Wait and see what happens after the next fill up.

Thank you all for your helpful comments, it's great to have you all around.

Vinnie.