Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - Billsboy

In this day and age, is it still possible to wind back the mileometer reading or syphon fuel from the fuel tank?

My car was at a dealer for over a week for warranty repairs with enough fuel for about 200miles.

When I collected the car, the fuel warning light was on yet according to the mileometer, it had done less than 20 miles whilst with the dealer.

I am sure of my facts as I keep careful records of mileages and fuel and closely monitor the fuel consumption.

I am hesitant to make a direct accusation to the dealer but I cannot think of any other explanations other than they had covered approx. 200 miles not recorded or fuel had been taken from the tank.

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - RobJP

Ask them directly :

When I dropped it off it was half full. I pick it up, 20 miles on the clock, but nearly empty. What's been going on ?

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - Cyd

There were reports recently of a dealer ragging a blokes motor about while it was "being serviced". They were caught out by a dash cam set on auto record!!

Be blunt with them!!! Show recently kept records to show you know what you're on about and not just a moaning old git.

I too saw the report on mis-use whilst being serviced and I have now written to the Dealer to see if they have an explanation.

On the face of it , it appears to have done nearly 200 miles unrecorded, so I will be very interested in their response.

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - slkfanboy

If that was for an MOT then I could understand the car being left to warm up, maybe too long!

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - hillman

I heard once about a car that went in for servicing with the tank almost full. When it was picked up the tank was almost empty. The owner went to the garage manager and demanded to know why. The manager asked the workshop and the story was that the 'boy' needed fuel to road test another car and had taken it from the subject's car, and forgotten to fill it up. Apologies and a £20:00 note.

Just had a reply from the Service Manager who states that it was necessary to leave the car idling for some time.

They had it for a week and by my reckoning they would have to let it idle for nearly 30hrs to use the the fuel. This seems implausible and I want to meet him but he is avoiding my calls.

Also, what affect wil this idling have on the DPF.

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - RobJP

Make a formal complaint - in writing. Sent by registered post.

Detail in it what has happened, and the 'alleged' cause, according to the service manager. Explain that if the car has been left idling for the length of time to use up so much fuel, then you will hold the dealership responsible for any DPF faults that show up in the next year.

Audi A3 - MPG Mystery - Cyd

Just had a reply from the Service Manager who states that it was necessary to leave the car idling for some time.

What rot! I'd expect a modest diesel to burn a little less than 1 litre an hour. As you say they'd have to leave it idling an awful long time. Go in and face him off if he won't answer the phone to you.

Use your mobile with a call recording app (I use ACR on Android) and see if you can get him on the phone first. Tell him you're recording the call though.