Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - dan86

Just after some of the collective wisdom from back room members.

Our fleet of lorries (dustcarts) are just only a year old but one driver last week had to be recovered from Blackheath hill due to the transmission failing, the gearbox is in question is the Allison 6 speed heavy duty automatic gearbox as found in all sorts of heavy duty applications like earth moving equipment. Gordon Bent might know of the gear box and so might others on here.

The fitters have blamed driver error saying he must have been holding it on the throttle whilst quing in traffic but these vehicles are double shifted and have a hard life and I've only ever known one other transmission to fail and that was on a 10 year old vehicle that had seen a hard life and all that went was the torque converter.

So my main question is could the driver have caused the gearbox to fail by holding it on traffic on the throttle?

Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - gordonbennet

Bent Gordon here..:-))))))) love it

What i know of Allisons is that they are tough durable boxes and failure is extremely rare...and i'd much rather have one in my steed than ZF's awful AS tronic...if you put an R between the A&S and an E after the S you'll know what lorry drivers call them.

I suspect any design of engine or box could be destroyed by deliberate abuse, if the (correct volume of) transmission oil that was drained out of the ruined box was burned, as against still good oil being contaminated by detritus from the box breaking up, then it does tend to point to abuse.

Is the tip particularly bad where getting stuck and having to give the vehicle serious welly a particular issue, that's about the only possible normal scenraio where i know from experience serious damage can happen, especially in poorly specified vehicles not up to the job.

I would have thought the vehicles would have been under R&M contract, but as you mention the fitters (not the dealer or workshops where you would speak to service manager/reception) are they bought and maintained in house, if R&M doesn't apply its going to be expensive.

PS, should have bought Dennis.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/12/2015 at 10:36

Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - Avant

Good old Dennis - better than Mercedes Bent......

I was born and brought up in Farnham and well remember the Dennis factory on the Guildford bypass. Anyone know where they're made now? In the 50s and even 60s there were plenty of pre-war Dennis buses and lorries still going strong.

Edit: are they still made now? I looked on Wikipedia via Google and it was inconclusive.

Edited by Avant on 07/12/2015 at 15:59

Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - Falkirk Bairn

Alexander Dennis build bus bodies in Falkirk & I think Scarborough - the chassis/engines all seem to some from Sweden & Germany.

The tip isn't any problem as it's a concrete structure and we tip down in to a pit as it's a incinerator.

Dennis may have been good at one time but there latest dustcarts are awful to drive there bouncy and have a poor steering lock. Whear as the Mercedes is powerful smooth comfortable and has a much better turning circle.

All our vehicles are owned by the company ( local authoritie ) and maintained in house only time the dealer has to come out for is diagnostics with the computer.

PersonallyI think it was a duff gearbox but the fitters don't know why it failed so are trying to blame the driver.

Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - gordonbennet

The tip isn't any problem as it's a concrete structure and we tip down in to a pit as it's a incinerator.

PersonallyI think it was a duff gearbox but the fitters don't know why it failed so are trying to blame the driver.

In a previous life i used to tip regularly at Biffa's site near Beaconsfield and at another one near Denham, Biffa's in particular was really heavy going and i had completely the wrong specified vehicle, a Sedd Ack double drive never in a million years designed for such heavy tip work, small International engine (designed for a track layer with infinite gearing hydraulic drive) and for good measure the wrong 6 speed gearbox with a too high first gear, no crawler or low range.

Had no choice but to enter the axle deep slurry and muck flat out in first gear in order to keep the turbo spooling or she'd die if the revs dropped, far too fast for the conditons, did this day in day out up to 6 times a day on the two year contract, ended up ripping the whole suspension off the rear live axle, luckily we had an old school mechanic who rebuilt it to his own brick outhouse standards and it never broke again, then Northampton Diesels breathed on the pump resulting in massive torque where it was needed at the bottom rev range, ending up with the vehicle it should have been specified as.

Eventually that was retired and a Leyland Constructor took its place, that thing could go virtually anywhere the track layer or compactor could go, superb vehicle for the job with the best brakes on a lorry i've known, including today some 35 years later.

I should think the oil from the gearbox will tell its own story, that would be my defence, if its been drained and got rid of where's the evidence of abuse.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/12/2015 at 20:42

I've no idea if the oil has been thrown away or not. But I doubt it will go very far as if it was driver abuse then we'd have a more broken gearboxes as all the trucks are driven hard in stop start traffic going between drive and neutral every few seconds and hard revving between the bins.

Mercedes-Benz Econic - Automatic gearbox failure - Wackyracer
When we had a new fleet of FM12's some years ago we had a total gearbox failure on one of them and the reason was it had no oil in it. I have no idea how a new truck ended up without oil in the gearbox though.

I think most of that fleet had gearbox rebuilds very early on under warranty as the syncro's were faulty.