Fiat Punto Grande 2006 - should I repair it or get rid of it? - sijena

Hi, Im asking for a good advice. My fiat Punto needs some major repairs. I have to replacr all door handles as the door wont open without a good push (resulted in dents in bodywork ) and electrics in drivers door as neither the window nor wing mirror works. Back door window needs repair as it was sliding down now its been temporarily fixed. The water was leaking through the gap in the window and the car got literally rotten inside after i left it for a week and went on holidays. Even full valet didnt help and he inside of the car stinks. Now I was wondering should i fix it or should i replace it. Its 2006 grande with 67000 miles! Thanks for advice

Fiat Punto Grande 2006 - should I repair it or get rid of it? - Andrew-T

In simple money terms, you must find out what it costs to fix the problems, compared to the value of the car afterwards. If you are strongly attached to it, you may decide the fix is worth it. My vague guess is that the car's intrinsic value isn't high. If it's otherwise in decent nick - the mileage is very reasonable - it may make sense?

Fiat Punto Grande 2006 - should I repair it or get rid of it? - Peter.N.

If you get all the bits you need from a scrapyard or off ebay and do it yourself it may well be worthwhile but to use new parts and pay I wouldn't think would be viable.

Fiat Punto Grande 2006 - should I repair it or get rid of it? - gordonbennet

Yep all simple enough fixes if you diy them with parts from breakers.

Might be worth taking all the carpets out for a week, put them out in the sun where you can wash them properly and let the sun dry them thoroughly, get some air to the underlay too which is probably still damp and where the smell probably is.

Door handles might just need some fettling and lubrication to get them working again.

Drivers door wiring has probably broken where it flexes, get a simple compass point circuit tester, find the break the old way and fix it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2015 at 17:46