Saloon - Help with choosing a commuter - Commuter_Cat

Hi All,

I need a better commuting car and need advice to select one that best suits my needs. My situation is;

I commute 110 miles per day, 50 miles of 50 mph (single carriageway), 30 miles at 70mph M-way) and 20 miles of 30 mph (with a little starting/stopping).

I have a maximum of £8000

I currently drive a little Aygo (70+mpg) so MPG and reliability are key issues for me.

I need some refinement and a lot more quiet (Aygo is a bit too loud for me for a 3 hour daily commute).

To date I have looked at a 1.4D4D Yaris, 1.4D4D Auris, a 1.9 TDi mk5 golf, Ford Fusion 1.4D, but can't make a decision.

I guess I am looking at saloons or family hackbacks to get the comfort.

Love the Avensis 2.0L as it ticks the reliabilty, comfort and quiet boxes, but the MPG is 50mpg which would hit me too hard financially over the year.

Don't really care about style or colour.

thanks,

Cat

Saloon - Help with choosing a commuter - skidpan

Rule 1, ignore the official MPG figures, they are not achievable. You will be very disapointed if you think you can. Honest John real MPG are a better guide as are the What Car True mpg figures.

As for deciding which car you buy only you can and only you should make that decision. Drive them and decide what you don't like and do like about them.

Saloon - Help with choosing a commuter - gordonbennet

If you definately want another car fair enough, but if it's the noise that's bothering you most, then this thread about Aygo soundproofing might be of interes, very easy DiY too.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=102415

This and replacing the frankly pants OE audio and speakers has transformed the family Aygo Black into a much nicer place to be...again simple enough DiY if you have a poke nose on that CityBugBlog to see how to dismantle what you need to.

Saloon - Help with choosing a commuter - Happy Blue!

It seems that your main concern is noise and economy and that space is not an issue. It therefore seems logical that if DIY noise suppresion as recommended by GB above is not your bag, then go for the smallest, most economical car you can find that does meet your noise requirements.

On the face of it, you want a Yaris diesel, but other similar cars may be available by a variety of manufacturers. You may be one of the few people for whom a small diesel car actually makes sense.

Saloon - Help with choosing a commuter - bazza

I would say you've identified the 2 best choices there -- the Yaris or the Auris, which tick the economy and reliability boxes. The Auris, being a slightly bigger, heavier car will be the quieter and most comfortable but the Yaris will probably give you a few more mpg. Both will be far better than your Aygo for comfort/noise. We run a 1.9 tdi, in an Octavia, the best you'll see on that trip is a true 56 to 58 mpg based on my experience. The 1.9s are getting on a bit now, so finding a good one might be a task. We also run an old petrol Corolla and for what it's worth, the build integrity of this is in a different league to anything else I've owned ( including the Octavia)

Just thinking, have you considered an Auris or Prius hybrid?. You will see around 60 mpg plus a very refined and relaxed driving experience if you're not in a rush. And reliability is well proven now.