Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - dieseldogg

With a 1.2TSI (Vw/SAkoda) or a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost or Hyundais new yet to be introduced 1.0 3 cyl.

Or indeed perhaps a Toyota Yaris 1.333 petrol

All in nominally SE spec, with no metallic paint minimal extras, but a full size spare wheel and steering wheel controls for radio and telephone.

Car to be kept for 10 or 12 years, doing about 5000/year

All between £11,500 and £12,500 priced on Drive the Deal.

Thoughts.

The new i20 is lovely to sit in, not test driven as yet.

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - skidpan

Drive the models you like on the roads you mostly drive on and make a decision based on that.

Service it correctly and it should easily last out your projected 50,000 miles.

The other things we always consider are the local dealers, how close are they. As an example in our area Hyundai had 2 local dealers who both closed down leaving owners with a 40 mile roun trip. Another dealer has recently set up a franchise but will history repeat itself. When we bought the Seat Leon we knew it was going to be a 30 mile round trip to the nearest dealer but liked the car so went ahead. That dealer proved himself a total muppet at the first service but at least we have another 2 only a little further away.

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - slkfanboy

Keeping a car 10-12 years is quite a long time and I've owned a Hyundai and that was rusty after 5 years.

A small engine is good around town and the Ford is quite a good option in that respect.

Why not buy a slightly better spec. in a second had car if budget is an issue?

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - dieseldogg

Having made preliminary enquiries, here in NI, fresh 2nd stuff is disportionately expensive, compared to a carefully picked "low hanging fruit" new car deal.

imho

MOT not up until May/June so can afford to be picky.

#cheers

m

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - Avant

If I knew I was going to keep a car for 10 years or more, it would be a Toyota every time.

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - madf

If I knew I was going to keep a car for 10 years or more, it would be a Toyota every time.

Our Toyota Yaris d4d - bought when 2.5 years old - is now 12 years old. In that time it has never given any issues - aprt from wear of consumables and ARB rubbers. It is still on its original exhaust..

No rust.. but the alloys are a little corroded..

It did need a new battery when it was 10 years old:-(

Hmmm,

Yes indeed, our daughters Toyota owning experience has been "enlightening" to say the least, compared to my previous new bought Skoda and new bought Ford before.

An entirely different ownership experience.

But!

sigh! Wor Son has got a mind of his own, thankfully.

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - Avant

"Yes indeed, our daughter's Toyota owning experience has been "enlightening" to say the least, compared to my previous new bought Skoda and new bought Ford before."

Could you tell us which was the good experience and which was the bad, Dieseldogg? In my case the experience of both Skoda ownership (mine, three) and Toyota (our daughter's, four) have been excellent.

Simples Avant.

We bought the Skoda from a Lurgan franchise.

a dealer stock order, brand new, after some discussion.

(i) Misinformed re the functionality of the not fitted Maxidot, which i would otherwise have specced.

(ii) A complete horlicks made of wiring the towbar, very very shoddy workmanship, I paid an extra £200/£250 to get it done correctly

(iii) Ignored and the wife kept sitting for 3 hours when in for a declared, discussed with Service manager fault.

Car not tested NOR put on the computer, as subsequently a fault code discovered by an independant motor engineer, which related to the declared fault.

still awaiting a Barristers opinion as despite v expensive and prolonged "repairs" the car is no different, still misbehaving in the same way and throwing the same fault code.

Skoda UK simply ignoring this situation, which is why I have reluctantly went to law.

regards,

Marcus

Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - Leif
You can find online graphs of what percentage of each brand of car are still around after N years. VW are good, Italian are bad. I am suspicious of Ford, my Ka was a rust bucket, scrapped after ten years. My neighbours Toyota car/van thing is 12 years old and is faultless.
Polo, Fiesta, Fabia or 3cyl Hyundai i20 iMarch '15 - optimum new car, for 5000 city miles per annum - confusedbuyer

I haven't driven the Yaris or the Hyundai, but I liked the 1.2 TSI 105 Polo and Fiesta Ecoboost. Fiesta is a better driver's car, but the Polo is an easier motorway car I found.

But as the mileage/year is so low, I'd try and retain as much value and limit the running costs as much as possible which would probably lead me to the Yaris.

thanks all