Ford Focus - Washer Pump - sailor64

Hi All,

I have a Ford Focus diesel from 2007.

The washer pump looks very tired and I would like to change it.

I had a look on eurocarpart, and all I can see are 2 generic washer pumps for 12V and 24V.

I would like to know if these would fit my car, and also how can I know whether it's 12V or 24V?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - RobJP

What exactly does a 'tired' pump look like ?

Either it's working as it should do, or it isn't.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - Simon

As above...

But if the generic one will fit you definitely need the 12v (volt) one.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - elekie&a/c doctor

Absolutely,i am sure there are other components on a 7 year old car that look "tired"but still function ok .(how about the driver?).Anyway,the pump will be a 12 volt device.I would check for sludge in the bottom of the reservoir before replacing any pump.Give it a good clean out.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - RobJP

Absolutely,i am sure there are other components on a 7 year old car that look "tired"but still function ok .(how about the driver?).Anyway,the pump will be a 12 volt device.I would check for sludge in the bottom of the reservoir before replacing any pump.Give it a good clean out.

Bleugh. I remember doing that on a 3 series a few years ago. It was rank.

Thanks for all the answers! Thank you for the tip about cleaning the bottom of the reservoir, I'll have a look at it.

By "tired" I mean the liquid is sprayed to up to 1/3 of the windscreen (when the car is stopped). Also, the liquid does not come out fast enough.

Many thanks!

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - honest kev

see 16th August 2013

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - Ian D
Sounds like the washer pump filter is partially blocked. If it is the same as my 2005 TDCi 1.6 estate, you need to jack the front right if the car up, remove the front offside wheel (for access), remove the plastic wheel arch liner and then you can get access to the washer pump and reservoir, clean the reservoir out and the important bit is to pull the washer pump out of the reservoir, and there will be a plastic/rubber simple filter which is probably gummed up, clean up and you should be ok.
Ford Focus - Washer Pump - Ian D
Obviously if you do the above you need to support the front offside of the car on axle stands, and you will need to unbolt and remove the reservoir/ pump completely, the bolts to undo are obvious once you have unscrewed and removed the plastic wheel arch liner

Hi Ian. Thanks a lot for your input. I'll give that a try.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - John F

Hi Ian. Thanks a lot for your input. I'll give that a try.

Before you do, try sticking a water hose down the reservoir as far as it will go and turn on the tap full to give it a blast. I read about this trick shortly after spending ages doing what has just been advised above on our 2000 Focus!

And I haven't actually tried this, but if 'blasting' doesn't de-gunge it, try emptying the reservoir [syphon if necessary] then add a kettleful of very hot water and keep the pump on. Might save taking the wheel arch to bits.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - grimep

The user manual for my 2008 Focus states that you should never operate the washer motor for more than 10 seconds at a time, or when the reservoir is empty. I assumed the 10 second rule was to stop it overheating, perhaps there's a design fault as I've never heard anything like that on other cars. Just thought I'd mention it if you're going to be using it a lot.

Hi John,

Thanks for the tips, that's worth trying before putting the car on axle stands and unmounting the wheel, etc.

Ford Focus - Washer Pump - Jamesey

Just to mention I had a washer pump go on my 2009 Focus, it started as weak spray then died. I got the part on ebay (new but unbranded) for about £8 although time will tell if it lasts. Didn't seem to be any gunk in the water tank. Quite easy to fit if rather fiddly, have to take the wheel off.

Hi James,

Good to hear you had a good experience changing the washer pump. I'll go for it if cleaning the tank is not enough.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just a quick update for those interested.

The filter of the tank was quite dirty (some sort of build-up of anti-freeze chemicals). I cleaned it, and now it all works perfectly fine!

Thank you to all who helped!