Hyundai Getz - car change - whatcitynext

We have a 2007 Hyundia Getz which is mainly used for my commute to work. Next year I hope to retire. I am torn between keeping this car until it dies, buying something sensible such as an i20 or a Fabia or blowing the £5000 I have to spend on something like a ten year old BMW. Your suggestions on something that would be fun but would not lead me to poverty would be much appreciated please.

Hyundai Getz - car change - daveyK_UK

We have a 2007 Hyundia Getz which is mainly used for my commute to work. Next year I hope to retire. I am torn between keeping this car until it dies, buying something sensible such as an i20 or a Fabia or blowing the £5000 I have to spend on something like a ten year old BMW. Your suggestions on something that would be fun but would not lead me to poverty would be much appreciated please.

Keep the Getz or get an I20. If you live near to a good Hyundai dealer then keep with the brand. Good Hyundai dealers are hard to find, I have noticed Hyundai have had a bit of a clear out of the rubbish small independents that lost them customers.

Don't throw away 5 grand on an old BMW, and don't get a Fabia, they are nothing special and the warranty is not a patch on Hyundais.

Hyundai Getz - car change - Auristocrat

You could also consider one of the last generation Kia Rio.

Hyundai Getz - car change - diddy1234

I can confirm a previous generation Rio would do you fine.

Had mine 6 years and clocked up 66,000 miles from new.

Runs great and only had to replace tyres

Hyundai Getz - car change - Avant

Is the Getz your only car? If so, a Suzuki Swift might be more fun to drive while still being reasonably sensible apart from a very small boot.

If you have another 'sensibl car' in the family, an MX-5 must surely be tempting. £5,000 will get you a 1.8 which should be reliable and also lots of fun.

Hyundai Getz - car change - whatcitynext

Yes the Getz is our only car. You are right an MX-5 would be very tempting but I will look at the Rios. I will probably end up buying an i20 and be I hope happy with it. Waiting until next year to change as little value in the Getz and no point putting loads of daily miles on the next car. Thanks everyone.

Hyundai Getz - car change - pcvpilotmick

I agree about the Rio, I had one for 3 and a half years and it never missed a beat. Other than routine servicing, all I replaced was a pair of tyres and a pollen filter.

Hyundai Getz - car change - gordonbennet

I'd keep the Getz as long as economically possible, well serviced, greased brake pipes and a liberal dousing of the underside with the rust protection of your choice.

It's worth little now, the bulk of it's depreciation is done, coming up are the most economical years of its life.

That's the sensible action IMO, course if you simply want another car fill yer boots.