Car Tax - Not getting full 6 months? - AdamM2012

Hello,

I have bought a used car today that had no tax. The dealer went to the post office to put six months tax on it but the tax disc received has a date of 31/12/14 on it, which is approximately five and a half months away. The amount of money paid is exactly what it should be for six months.

Is this correct or has something gone wrong?

I have tried looking everywhere on the internet, but don't seem to be able to find this problem anywhere else!

Car Tax - Not getting full 6 months? - Avant

The tax always runs to the end of a calendar month, not to 16 January 2015 as you were perhaps expecting. There may be a point towards the end of a month where they will be generous and give you 6 or 12 months plus a few days - but they won't give away 15 days!

Car Tax - Not getting full 6 months? - Galaxy

There's always a loss of tax when buying a car, I'm afraid, like the one you describe, OP.

The only way round it is to make sure you collect the car on the 1st of the month. However, this also relies on the dealer taxing it on the same day and they won't always be able or willing to do this.

I just regard it as part of the cost of buying another car. Many years ago I remeber buying a used car from a dealer who said he's give me six months tax. This he did but he taxed it on the 29th of the month. I lost almost a months tax becasue of that. Grrrrrrr!

Car Tax - Not getting full 6 months? - catsdad
Yes you lose out even if it's taxed on the last day of the month. Of course with the demise of the month specific paper disc later this year there is probably no reason the computerised record could not cope with part months but don't hold your breath as this is a nice little earner for the government (or the general taxpayer depending how you look at it!)