Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advice - scfc_151

Ive been looking to upgrade my Old 306 estate and originally was looking at an a4 avant but got put off by the oil pump failures on the 2.0 td Ive now turned my attention to a mazda 6 estate. When im researching this car there are a lot of reports about the dpf clogging up and dumping loads of fuel to clear it I just wondered if these are a good reliable car? Also is servicing costs going to be expensive? I generally do a basic service myself as well as exhausts, brakes etc. Im wondering if its easy enough to reset the service interval on these cars? Thanks all

Edited by Avant on 18/01/2014 at 22:14

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - madf

Do NOT buy a Mazda diesel.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - gordonbennet

Apart from the Diesel engine they seem to be a good all round motor, apart from a bit of rust here and there.

I wouldn't touch a Mazda Diesel with a barge pole, must be like owning a ticking time bomb.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - Bobbin Threadbare

If you were after the petrol one, I reckon most folk would say 'go for it'. They are fairly cheap to run and I did some maintenance on the one I had myself. Parts were reasonably priced and easy to get hold of.

However, Mazda didn't do an amazing job of the diesel engine and this spreads about and people say 'do not touch'.

Would suggest a Ford Mondeo instead; DPF issues are not reported on the good/bad points of this website. If you can go for it, BMW do not have any reported issue with their DPFs either, whilst Audi do.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - scfc_151
Well the dont touch mazda diesel seems conclusive. How cheap to run is the petrol version?

To be honest this car would be used for the occasional long journey with family but with more short trips in between so petrol would be better. I just dont like the idea of 30mpg instead of 45.

Just out of interest what are the main issues with a mazda 6 diesel?

Edited by scfc_151 on 15/01/2014 at 21:57

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - Collos25

The engines disintergrate well documented on this site if you care to look for the info.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - scfc_151
Will certainly look into that thanks
Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - daveyK_UK

do not buy a mazda diesel

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - skidpan

do not buy a mazda diesel

The dpf system on the 1.6 3 totally different and is reliable.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 estate buying advise - daveyK_UK

Maybe

but Mazda's resonse to owners with diesels has been appauling.

I wouldnt want anyone to find themselves in the same situation.