Alfa Romeo 156 - Engine Temperature gauge not working Alfa Romeo156 - the man44

Hi, I am new to the forum. I'd appreciate any help so will try to keep it concise. I am considering purchasing a 2004 Alfa Romeo 1.9 JTD, the 8 valve model, manual. The private seller says the temperature gauge does not work and has had it investigated to no avail. The thermostat and sensor have been replaced, problem continues. Apparently there is no overheating and no sign of lower mpg and no other symptoms. The sellersay its been like this for a while and it hasn't affected performance or economy at all so he didn't investigated further. He also says there are no warning lights present on the dash.

I have previously has a Saab 93 with thermostat issues that lead to a head gasket failure in less than a week. So am weary of this 156's issue. I'd be travelling from London to Huddersfield. Is this car a risk or an easy fix?

Thanks for reading and any help and advice that can be given

Alfa Romeo 156 - Engine Temperature gauge not working Alfa Romeo156 - Collos25

He has not investigated very far has he which makes me wonder if he has something to hide, if you want to travel all that distance and believe what could be a fairy story then I wish you good luck.Personally I would buy a car much nearer home and with all the gauges and warning lights working as they should.

Alfa Romeo 156 - Engine Temperature gauge not working Alfa Romeo156 - galileo

Remember that you have no comeback whatsoever from a private seller - you are the one who will have to pay for any repairs required.

As Collos says, why travel all that distance to buy a car with an admitted minor fault and possible major ones?

Edited by galileo on 10/01/2014 at 22:32

Alfa Romeo 156 - Engine Temperature gauge not working Alfa Romeo156 - the man44

thank you to you both, you both gave helpful responses

Alfa Romeo 156 - Engine Temperature gauge not working Alfa Romeo156 - quizman

I'd like to give you a little helpful advice, do not buy a 10 year old Alfa. They do not age very well.

Closed. Thanks guys - the man44

Thank you all, I have decided against this car.