Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - TrevL

A general comment that may assist others, regading warning light resets. In my case I have a recurring issue with the Emission Warning Light on my 2007 Suzuki SX4 1.6 (petrol). This has been a trouble free vehicle from new, but over the past year and a bit the EWL comes on about every two to three months, the code delivered indicates a generic "cat failure" code. The vehicle gets through the emission tests at the MOT no problem. The issue is not unique to my vehicle it seems to be a general "false positive" on Suzukis that should probably reset automatically but doesn't always do so. I have paid to get the light reset each time and thought I should have a go at fixing it myself at the next event. This happened last week so I went on line and found the Autel MS300 Scan Tool with several U-Tube reviews that said it works for resets and it's simple to use. So I bought one, and it does as it says on the tin. Cost £14.19 to the letterbox (Digi2013 UK on Amazon.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - dan86

Never had this problem on my wife's 2010 sx4 petrol . Would be interesting to know more about it. What petrol are you using?

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - veryoldbear

Bah! Marketing Spam.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - Avant

No, I don't think it is. TrevL has ben a member since 2005 and often contributes helpful suggestions.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - John Boy

There's certainly a report of the same problem on this SX4 forum:

www.suzuki4u.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=...3

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - TrevL

Correct Avant, just trying to pass on some useful info. Also the comment on the Suzuki forum was from me. Regarding type of fuel it's normally from my local Jet garage or Shell.I expect fuel/plugs could be an issue but I do believe it is a general issue with Suzukis, as my local mechanic tells me he has several other customers with the same problem, unfortunately his scanner doesn't see the Suzuki codes hence after discussions with him I got the Autel unit to try. I recently worked with someone who had the same issue and his garage changed the O2 sensor and obviously cleared the code too,so the sensor may not have been the problem.Also the main dealer I got the vehicle from (from new) told me that the problem was not rare and his view was that some parameter was set too fine or a false positive was being registered and not being cleared. My guess is that someone deep in Suzuki (or a supplier) knows what the issue is but as it's not really a major issue more of a minor irritant, Suzuki aren't going to issue a global fix on old vehicles.Anyway, would I buy another Suzuki, yes is the answer, and my friend Jim the Recovery Man who slags off most cars, told his girlfriend to get a Suzuki Swift. Praise indeed!

Final point, on a US site for Suzukis they had a similar issue and the problem there seemed to be oil fouling the O2 sensor, but this would not be the 1.6 petrol engine that's in mine but a bigger unit.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - veryoldbear

In that case my apologies, chaps.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - injection doc

used to see similar problems with Fiats that used supermarket fuel but normally if they changed fuel supply the issue went away.

The rear sensor will flag this issue if it doesnt see clean gases at the rear of the cat so thinks the cat isnt working properly.

The normal voltage for the rear sensor is around .55 v

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - John Boy

That little device is so cheap and the Amazon reviews so good, I'd be curious to know whether it works with all Suzuki cars.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - Simon

I've got an Autel Maxiscan MS 309 (I think that's the one off the top of my head). As a generic cheap code reader you can't beat it. This is the one that rather than just give you a code to look up in a book, it actually tells you what the fault is in plain English. It also shows you freeze frame data from when the fault last occured, ie what the car was doing when the fault was triggered. Plus it has the ability to turn the engine management light off. All in all I am very pleased with it.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - SuzukiSwiftSport

Hi TrevL

I hope you don't mind me commenting. I'm new to this site and have been looking at info on EWL. I am a girl and have absolutely no clue about anything car wise. I've had my Suzuki Swift Sport for nearly 3 yrs (its an 08 plate) and its pretty much always had the engine wanring light on, when i go to the garage is comes up with a cat converter fault but the emissions are always fine when the car has its MOT. Last year i had a new battery put it and it stopped the light coming on for about two months. I will be possibily looking at selling the car in the next year and obviously I'm aware the light will put potential buyers off. If you can give me any advice on what you think it is that would be great :)

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - daveyK_UK

This seems to be a long standing issue with Suzuki cars, my old X plate suzuki Swift also randomly showed an emissions/cat light.

When tested, there was never a problem.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - dan86

I've owned a few suzuki cars in fa the I still own a 1.6 petrol sx4 2010 also had a previous generation swift 1.5 and both have been and were extremely reliable only needing servicing via the manufacturers schedule.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - Gibbo_Wirral

Could it be deterioration in the electrical connections to the O2 sensor? Are they exposed to dirt and water or do the cables rub on any body parts?

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - Jag_Bri

this would be my train of thought, more likely to be a sensor or connection to a sensor than the cat.

Suzuki and others. - Warning Light Reset - Jag_Bri

Taking a battery out often clears a fault code... have you taken it to a Suzuki garage ?