Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - skodafabiavrs

Been running a Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS for 2.5 years now and we are looking to replace it in Spring 2014 when the lease runs out (its a company car).

Have loved the effortless acceleration , the DSG gearbox and the fact it is small so great for driving round town.

Have hated the tinny rattly interior , the rock hard suspension combined with low profile tyres (not a good mix on our potholed roads) and the tyre noise on all but the smoothest road surface.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a replacement which will give me decent acceleration and a smooth auto box but give us a more pleasant interior and a smoother quieter ride?

Nothing too big either...

The BIK needs to be circa £ 3700 ish but not a deal breaker

On the shortlist are:

VW Golf GT 1.4TSI ACT DSG (17 “ wheels only though – will this affect ride?)

Audi A3 Sportback SE 1.4 ACT (can get this on 16 “ wheels , cheaper then GolfGT too?)

Audi A1 Sport 1.4 TSI ACT S-tronic

Audi A1 Sline1.4 TSI 185 S-tronic (essentially same car as the Skoda but nicer inside. Is it rock hard too?)

Alfa Giulietta 1.4TB Multiair Lusso TCT

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - craig-pd130

Volvo V40? They offer a 150bhp diesel auto or a 180bhp petrol auto. Provided you don't choose ultra low-profile tyres, the ride / handling combo is usually pretty good on modern Volvos, and oriented towards smooth rather than too sporty.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - skidpan

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI SE

Had one for a couple of months now, will do a write up shortly.

Very quickly

Cost me £5000 less than a Golf GT with the same engine. You don't get the ACT gimmick but in the real world its as much use as stop/start.

Excellent ride on 16" wheels. Handling exactly what you expect.

Incredible performance, 140 PS and 185 lbs of torque makes for rapid progress whenn needed.

Computer showing 50.2 mpg since I bought it 1500 miles ago. Its a bit optimistic, calcs show 47 mpg nearer the mark so far which is excellent for a petrol. On a 270 mile round trip to the coast the other day it showed 56.0 mpg on the dash, probably 52 or 53 mpg after correction, good as my old BMW 118D.

Why buy a Golf or an A3.

We looked at the V40. Cheaper than the Golf but access was compromised into both front, rear and boot. Dealer was not prepared to sell us the model we wanted (ES petrol), said everyone bought the R-Line diesel for several £1000 more. Laughed at him and walked out.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - oldtoffee

BMW 320d efficent dynamics - miles better than all that front wheel drive stuff and more room and save a load on fuel

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - unthrottled

miles better than all that front wheel drive stuff

90% of drivers are much better served by fwd. Don't let familarity breed contempt.

Of the remaining 10%, most have large caravans.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - idle_chatterer

miles better than all that front wheel drive stuff

90% of drivers are much better served by fwd. Don't let familarity breed contempt.

Of the remaining 10%, most have large caravans.

I have to disagree, having had a powerful RWD car but now driving FWD again (160PS Golf VI DSG) I much prefer RWD, granted interior packaging is better and I don't need to worry about snow where I live but I'd take RWD any day over FWD even in a modestly powered car. I'd contend that many of your 90% of drivers haven't experienced the RWD or AWD alternatives to FWD so know no different.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 09/08/2013 at 07:02

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - skidpan

Before I bought the Leon mentioned above I had owned a BMW 118D for over 5 years. Never had an issue with it. Averaged almost 48 mpg over the 37000 miles I had it.

Great to drive, very tempted with another, considered a 116i when we got the Leon.

But in the real world the actual difference in driving a RWD and FWD car is barely noticable. yes the BMW had very nice steering but on a motorway you don't steer that much.

Add essential extras and the 116i was £4000 more than the Leon. For that the BMW gives you slightly nicer steering, a much harder ride and a rear seat that is difficult to get in.

Will also say in it defence that when fitted with winter tyres I never had an issue with the BMW, passed quite a few FWD cars that were stuck last winter.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - Happy Blue!

NIssan Juke - comes with 1.6 petrol with CVT auto. In Sport mode it is pretty sparky but in Ecom mode is frugal.

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - Bobbin Threadbare

But in the real world the actual difference in driving a RWD and FWD car is barely noticable. yes the BMW had very nice steering but on a motorway you don't steer that much.

True - for pretty much all day to day driving. Thrashing the MX5 round corners is a lot of fun, which wouldn't have been as good in my 6 or my old Focus, but on the motorway who cares?

Skoda Fabia vRS - Ideas for replacement for Skoda Fabia 1.4 VRS - unthrottled

but on the motorway who cares?

Surely soggy steering is an advantage on motorways as sharp, twitchy steering can become tiresome on motorways?