Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - elguapo

Hi All,

Hoping someone can please take the time to offer us some advice. I have rejected a car within 6 months and the car was at the dealers premises after we stopped driving it. I just got back from work today and the dealer has had the car towed back to my house while my wife was out and parked it outside our house.

It is a fairly long story that is best explained by reading the letter that i sent to the dealer when i rejected the car. If anyone has some spare time and would like to help out and have a quick read of the letter I would be very grateful. The letter can be found at the link below.

docs.google.com/document/d/1vkpCKBu1joLpAdBah3FdXS...g

What options would i have now the car is back outside my house (it is taxed and legal for a few more months but the neighbours will be annoyed as it is already tight for parking *rolly eyes*). Can we force the dealer to accept the car back on his premises? Have we left ourselves with any chance of winning a county court claim as we have had the car repaired ourselves?

I think i may have shot myself in the foot by getting the car fixed at our local garage, even though the dealer had already had 2 attempts to fix the car before then....

Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - Palcouk

Write to Mazda HO

Mazda Motors UK Limited, Customer Assistance Department, Riverbridge House, Anchor Boulevard, Dartford, Kent, DA2 6SL.

For Directors listing see

uk.linkedin.com/pub/jeremy-thomson/11/b89/223

So send a copy to a Director also

Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - pd

Do I understand this is a £1300 car? In which case I am amazed anyone tried to fix any aspect of it all and didn't just scrap the thing at the first sign of trouble. I can't understand why the dealer even bothered with it as any margin they made will have been swallowed by the first issues.

If the car is vaguely working I can't see you have any right of rejection and to be honest on a £1300 banger worth not more than scrap any chances of success you have under any SoGA for anything is very minimal.

If it was a £13000 car I'd say go for it and push for a refund, if it is a £1300 car accept that that cars at this level are cheap because they're a gamble - if it is woking bung it on ebay or similar and get shot, if it isn't cut you losses and either sell it spare or repair or sell if you can put it in a local auction.

Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - Gordon17

Write to Mazda HO

Mazda Motors UK Limited, Customer Assistance Department, Riverbridge House, Anchor Boulevard, Dartford, Kent, DA2 6SL.

For Directors listing see

uk.linkedin.com/pub/jeremy-thomson/11/b89/223

So send a copy to a Director also

This is nothing to do with Mazda - it's a straight dispute between the purchaser and the dealer that sold it to him.

Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - 72 dudes

This is nothing to do with Mazda - it's a straight dispute between the purchaser and the dealer that sold it to him.

Correct.

I have read your letter to the dealer carefully and think it is entirely reasonable in the circumstances. Regardless of the fact that it is only a £1300 car, it is clearly not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

The fact that the dealer has recovered the car back to your home matters not. If anything, this will add to your argument when you take him to the Small Claims Court, which I'm afraid you will have to do in order to get any further with this.

Stick to your guns, good luck and come back and tell us what happens.

Mazda 6 Diesel Estate - Mazda 6 Not fit for purpose - Engine Fire - pd

I can see why the OP is miffed but I still think they should seriously consider whether it is worthwhile.

I am mystfied as to why the dealer or the OP ever spent any money on this car in the first place. It wasn't financially vaible to do the gearbox IMO and it was clear it was a duffer. The dealer should have just taken it back, maybe sold the OP another car and punted it through the auctions. That would have been better, and cheaper, for both parties.

The situation is a bit of a mess as the OP has done work not authorised by the dealer so you have third parties in there who may or may not have diagosed what was wrong correctly.

If it goes to court then the OP will probably have to get engineers reports as to what exactly is wrong with the car which will take time and money. The dealer may dispute them which will mean more reports. This will all take lots of time and upfront expentiture which the OP may, or may not, get back. The court will try and force both parties to come to a deal and will push you to go through arbitration first which will all take more time.

Months later, it could end up before a judge who will probably try and find a compromise and force both sides to accept a deal which neither are particularly happy with.

The whole thing has clearly been a disaster for both buyer and seller. The seller has probably lost money, the buyer has lost money. Unfortunately this is the world of cheap old cars - £1300 doesn't buy much car these days and they are a major risk for both seller and buyer. That is why they are cheap - because they are a gamble.

Technically, the OP is justified in feeling badly treated but whether it is worthwhile persuing this for months and spending yet more money when they may not get everything they want from a court case anyway for the amount of money involved is questionable.

Sometimes it is best just to put something down to experience and move on. The experience is don't buy a cheap Mazda 6 diesel - a quick read of this forum before purchase would have told them that!