4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - TriciaA

Now that my daughter has bought a horse, she is considering buying a 4X4, she is selling her audi a3 and hopes to find something that won't cost a fortune to run as she will have to use it for work also. We have been looking at Mitsubishi Pajero's 2.5, 3 door. She needs something that will be able to tow a trailer. The Shoguns seems to be way too big.

It appears that some Landrovers don't have the pulling power. I'd be grateful for some ideas on 4X4's i.e. not too heavy on the diesel, mileage, maintenance. Her budget is around £1.500.

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - veryoldbear

I though Pajeros were just grey imported Shoguns ? Somebody will doubtless clarify this one.

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - RT

I though Pajeros were just grey imported Shoguns ? Somebody will doubtless clarify this one.

Exactly correct.

It can be a minefield - if your daughter passed her driving test after 1/1/1997 she'll only have a B licence, not a B+E, so be restricted to towing an outfit (car + trailer) whose maximum weights added together don't exceed 3500kg - unless she takes a +E Towing Test.

The only Land Rovers that can't pull a 3500kg trailer are the Freelanders but even their weight means that a trailer more than about 1200 kg maximum can't be towed on a B only licence - that would really only cover a pony trailer as horse boxes are around 500 kg unladen - then add the weight of the horse and tack .......

Get the licence restrictions sorted first - otherwise trouble looms.

Edited by RT on 03/06/2013 at 20:52

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - gordonbennet

Assuming as per RT's post that the licence situation is covered.

4x4's, especially in the budget you mention will in most cases drink fuel like its going out of fashion, and a £1500 LR wll be a ropey old thing indeed, or was the budget £15k?...still wouldn't recommend a LR..;)

Will she really be doing so much towing that she needs her own towcar, in most self livery stables i've been there is a handy chap with either a horse box or 4x4+trailer who will do the towing for you for a fair cash price, it might prove cheaper in the long run to use such people as and when needed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/06/2013 at 21:07

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - alastairq

With above provisos....

Nssan Terrano?

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - christo
AKA The Ford Maverick
4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - focussed

Be warned - for £1500 you can buy more 4 x 4 trouble than you can handle.

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - TriciaA

Thanks for all your replies :) Have seen a few online (Pajero) yet to view though, most have low mileage from 60.000 - 104.000, no higher, years range from 1999 - 2004, all diesel.

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - sandy56

Any car costing £1,500 is a big gamble.

I wouldnt trust the mileometer on these cars mentioned either.

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - Collos25

I would also look at the road tax cost .

Any car costing £1,500 is a big gamble.

I wouldnt trust the mileometer on these cars mentioned either.

You can't trust the mileometer on any grey import, whill ALL Pajero's are - it may have been changed at point of import to convert from kph to mph - some importers/owners take the trouble to adjust the mileage to match the previous kph reading but many don't as there's no legal requirement to do so.

Edited by RT on 05/06/2013 at 21:42

4X4's - Used 4X4's a little advice please... - gordonbennet

OP you must do as you think best, suggest lots of research before buying into this market.

You didn't want something heavy on fuel but you're looking at a 2 ton brick with a robust AWD transmission, fuel efficient these vehicles will never be, nothing wrong with that but don't let anyone tell you that they will do more than 25mpg in normal use and considerably less if driven hard.