Vauxhall Corsa Design (2005) - Camshaft bolts - help! - Leon64

The Vauxhall Corsa is known for having a fault in which the camshaft bolts aren't tight enough and the camshaft snaps as a result of being flexed too much if this is left unchecked.
What I need to know is if a car (2005, 69000 miles) has loose camshaft bolts, but the camshaft hasn't snapped, if the bolts are tightened will that eliminate the problem, or due to the extra wear the camshaft has undergone will it be likely to snap anyway?
Thanks

Vauxhall Corsa Design (2005) - Camshaft bolts - help! - Robin the Technician

I think the best thing you can do to put your mind at rest is to order a new set and replace them. I would do one bolt at a time so that as little as possible is disturbed. Make sure you tighten the bolt to the specified torque. I can't see you will have damaged the camshaft unless one or more bolts has come undone considerably allowing the camshaft to seriously oscillate. Check the tightness of the bolts prior to bolt change - this should give you an indication if the camshaft has been under any stress.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Vauxhall Corsa Design (2005) - Camshaft bolts - help! - 1litregolfeater

You won't need new bolts just to tighten them up a bit. You will need a small torque wrench with low values if you want to do it by the book, I think they're only about 8Nm, which seems barely tight enough if you dare to do it by hand.

Don't do it by hand if you have big hands and a tendency to add an ounce for luck.